1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Cesar13, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Cesar13 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi I've new 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive but when i am trying to install it on Dell Precision 470 Workstation, BIOS does not detect my new hard drive. I've tried jumper settings as well but having same issue. Any one have the solution kindly let me know

Thanks

2. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    That system should have no problems detecting the HD, even the raid/ahci controller. I would say pull the drive out and try in another system to make sure it's not the drive giving you grief.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Cesar13 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your reply but i already tried on other machine as well DELL XPS Studio but have same symptom and i have tried different SATA Cables as well

4. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Then it sounds to me you have a bad hard drive. It happens.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Did you make sure to enable the SATA port the drive is connected to in the BIOS?

Dell's BIOSes are completely stupid, you have to enable each sata port manually before it will work, and if you have one enable with no drive connected it will bitch about not being able to find a drive every time the computer is booted.

So if you aren't getting the "could not find a drive on XXXX port" every time you boot, the drive is either detected by the BIOS or the port is not enabled.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU