1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate clicking

Discussion in 'Storage' started by PP Mguire, Jan 19, 2010.

1. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok i have a brand new Seagate 2Tb LP. I have it half way full and it just started clicking last night. It will click a few times during boot up, during Widnwos start, and if i go to the drive and right click it takes forever to bring up the menu.

BUT if i go to copy something it makes a funny noise but runs fast and fine.

Should i get ready to replace it?

SMART is enabled by default btw.
  2. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    I'd just go with an RMA. It's probably dying. My old hitachi 80gb clicked right before it died.

Although, my WD clicked for a while when I bought it and slowly stopped. It's my best drive lol.
  3. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    RMA to who? Ive had it for a few weeks and Frys i know probably wont take it back. Seagate warranty? Will i lose my movies? Thats over a TB of Bluray :cry:
  4. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Well, you said it still works. Just back it up to something and send it to seagate.
  5. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only other large drive i have is my 1tb Seagate thats over half way full of game ISOs :roll:
  6. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Compress the movies and spread them all over your drives? XD
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You could burn them all to dual layer dvd's which are amazingly cheaper than they used to be. Gather up all your USB sticks, flash devices, etc. and use them. There actually may be a program included with the disk that came with the HDD for backups. You may actually be able to fit everything on your other drive.
  8. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im gonna wait a bit and see if i can purchase another 2tb, back the drive up, put the old one in the box, and send it back.
  9. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Have the drive for a few weeks ... did you move lots of files on that drive like delete , copy , install & uninstall ,etc...?

Asking this because i used to have that clicking problem on one of my drives turn out it was badly fragmented , did a defrag & it was all fine after that , so maybe it needs a defrag??

Otherwise your drive is dying it may last a long time before it give up but don't take any chances & back up all the important data.
  10. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    All i did was get the drive, and copy all the files from my old 1tb to it all in one copy. I havent put anything on it since besides read movies and tv shows off it.

[​IMG]
  11. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    That can still fragmented your drive after a while , anyhow it worth a try , but make sure you back up all important data first just in case that's really the drive that is dying

BTW:Movies or tv-show , games can be replace it's not like family video or pictures wich can't be replace

EDIT:Ok just saw your disk defragmenter drive seems fine on that
    Time to RMA the drive....

Hope you don't have to much pron... they can see everything you put on the drive even if it's "format/erase" ;)
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  12. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    My Seagate 1.5Tb LP series makes the little clicking sound when I first turn it on, when windows detects it, and when I go to get something off of it after it's been sitting awhile. The clicking/grinding sound of these LP series drives is a known issue and could just be that. I would go and grab UBCD and run the Seagate Seatools 2.1x HD test on the drive just to make sure it is bad before spending all your time trying to backup all the data for nothing.
    smashed_99cbr says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    No its a real bad clicking. You can tell somethings wrong with it because it will lag out when watching a movie or something off it.

As for format, MS made low level format for a reason.
  14. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Well, you can always buy a second one, put that data on that, then when this one comes back from RMA you can put them both in RAID1.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  15. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont have the cash for that.

What i was gonna try and do though, is buy 1 on my day off, copy everything to new drive, put old drive in new box and take back to frys and get my money back.

I turned SMART off and it seems to be working a little better but still clicking and jinking movies.
  16. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Over heating can make HDD's click and normally is solved by keeping it cooler but if it's not and keeps clicking there's a good chance you will lose the stuff on it anyways.
  17. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Im pretty sure the people @ Frys will check the serial number on the drive to make sure it matches the one on the box. This isnt Walmart, and it isn't 'right' either :eek:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    what generation is the drive?
  19. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually they dont. They check to see if the drive capacity and LP is correct and carry on. They have alot of returns due to it being a sell item and not properly marking it as "5900rpm" except on the receipt to cover their butts. How is it not right though? Its the same as taking it back in the original box but i dont have it.

I have no idea.

But, to clarify some suspicion i tried a little test. Ran a long psu cable from my psu to where MMs laptop is. Used a nifty esata to sata cable of mine to plug the drive into her esata port. Seatools on my computer said the tests past even though short burst tests took forever and clicking was horrible. Thats what gave me the hunch. Booted the laptop and the harddrive had no clicking. Was watching a movie, no clicking or jinks. Copied file from HD to HD and it sustained about 90MB/s. :toast:

So its not the drive, its this POS mobo.
  20. smashed_99cbr New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep they do that... lol
  21. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Sure the drive is not goning into standby ?. Change the power options in control panel and check to see if it's turning the HDD every 20 mins lol.
  22. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    It wasnt standby, this drive dosent make a sound during normal operation.

As my last post said, it was my motherboard. Its finally starting to die completely on me. Changed the SATA port and the drive is running fine now.
  23. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Glad to hear/see you didn't have to go through all that backup mess but it's such a,"darn shame" your gonna have to look for a new board:rolleyes::laugh:
    PP Mguire says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whats this look business :p

[​IMG]

:laugh:
  25. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Pfft....You ain't special......:roll: