• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate Develops World's Highest Density Mobile Hard Drive Technology

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Seagate Technology plc, a world leader in storage solutions, today announced it has achieved a major milestone in areal density with a new hard disk that can offer as much as 2 TB of capacity in a slim 7 mm package. This achievement is significant because in final product form it will give OEMs freedom to design a new generation of elegant mobile products that are extremely thin and stylish, light-weight, fast, power-efficient and cost-effective.

"In an industry first, our engineers have been able to boost areal density to 1 TB per platter in a 2.5-inch form factor, which will give OEMs the flexibility to design and build virtually any kind of mobile device they can envision, with plenty of storage to boot," said Mark Re, Seagate's chief technology officer. "Combining new mechanical firmware architectures, with state of the art heads, media and electronic design, this technology is a real game changer- providing four times more capacity than a 0.25 TB SSD at a substantially lower cost."

Featuring cutting-edge storage technology, the new drive technology is the first to incorporate recording-subsystem components-head, media, preamp, channel-to achieve even greater areal densities, well ahead of competitive offerings. Its advanced, high-spatial efficiency mechanics deliver lightweight, low acoustics and strong mechanical robustness capable of new levels of drive stability even when subject to intense shock and vibrations.

The new drive weighs just 3.17 oz., and is 25 percent lighter than the previous generation of Seagate's mobile hard drive products. Smaller drives free up valuable space in a mobile device to accommodate additional designed-in features, such as bigger batteries, more memory and better air circulation. With up to 2 TB of space, the drive can also enable affordable high capacity storage- storing more than 500,000 songs, 320,000 photos, 240 hours of high definition video or 26 hours of 4K ultra-high definition content.

"The notebook PC continues to be an important productivity tool, especially for content creators who are producing an enormous volume of data," said John Rydning, IDC's research vice president for hard disk drives. "Seagate's new ultra-mobile HDD technology is ground breaking for Seagate and the HDD industry, making it possible for notebook PC users to have generous storage capacity in a thin and light PC."

While the new areal density milestone was achieved in a traditional HDD format, Seagate is also examining a hybrid format as well. A Hybrid version would combine NAND flash with Seagate's proprietary learning algorithms, to deliver supreme performance and a richer consumer experience at a much lower cost than comparable solid state drives.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I hope new hybrids will come with more than crappy 8GB of SSD part. And that plates will spin at more than crappy 5400 RPM. So it's actually a high performance hybrid drive, not some thing that works fine in benchmarks for reviews, but falls short when you start filling such tiny cache with massive game data. Of more games, not just one they use in tests... I'm using eBoostr as software caching solution and I'm using 66% of 32GB SSD cache. With over 95% cache hit ratio. That's already more than twice as much as they stick to existing hybrid drives.

Been waiting on this, there is not enough competition in 2 TB 2.5" market. I hope the reliability is the same as for HGST's Travelstar series.

System Name Avalon
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3770K @ 1C: 42x, 2C: 41x, 3C: 40x, 4C: 39x (scalped, Coollaboratory Liquid Pro)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. A (B&W Edition) @ Passive
Memory 2x SK Hynix HMT451U6MFR8C-PB @ 2400 11-13-12-27 CR1 1.575 V
Video Card(s) Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Storage SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB; RAID0: 2x WDC WD10JPVT
Display(s) SΛMSUNG S27A550
Case Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced White
Power Supply Seasonic X-460 FANLESS
Software Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
Seagate fuck me with a warranty on my Samsung drive, so I hate them. Fuck you, Seagate!
Will wait 2TB 2.5" WD Blue drive.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Do they have a drive ready to sell or did they just announced that they have the technology - and a couple of prototypes - to create a final consumer product in the near future?

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
HDD, the last remaining dinosaur...