1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

seagate expansion 1tb external harddisk

Discussion in 'Storage' started by mafia97, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    1. no. WD greens might use less power and function, but that doesnt solve your problem, just delays it.
    2. see 1.
    3. you already have. these drives work on everything except your system, and on multiple USB ports. the only thing in common is the power source for all those USB ports.
    4. no. unless you've got heaps of power sucking devices connected all at once you never told us about.

mafia97 says thanks.
  2. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    My mobo doesnt have the junper setting,checked.
    Is there any other way,except psu change.
    It crashes only when the system is idle,not when i m using it,n it crahed only when i was uploading that video.

EDIT : tried the HDD on a similar syste(core i7 950,6950 2gb,6gb ram,650w psu)
    works great,transfered around 50gigs of data,no problem.
    so the problem indeed is my psu.
    would b getting a spare psu in the evening,would report to u guys soon.
    thanks for all the help till now.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    If it is crashing when you system is idle, you may have large fluctuations in voltage coming off your PSU. This isn't always the PSU but it is most likely to be. I just looked at your system specs, if you're already running the GTX 580, your 600-watt PSU is too small. I bought a single 6870 (which uses much less than the 580,) and my 550-watt wouldn't even boot the system. I would recommend something a little bigger, and if you plan on running another one eventually, I would get a big one.

Keep in mind that the PSU powers your entire system and is responsible for giving each component the proper amount of voltage, so you don't want to skimp on it. If you are stressing your PSU a lot, try reverting your CPU overclock back to stock and see if it makes a difference, but I highly recommend trying out another PSU if you have one available.

Last time I asked what the voltages were, you said they were okay, could you actually provide the numbers? +12v +5v and +3.3v.

mafia97 says thanks.
  4. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    cpu core 1.144v
    +3v 3.136
    +5v 4.834
    +12v 12.320
    the cpu core is at 1.144v because i reverted my CPU to stock clocks,sorry didnt update

and i removed bluetooth dongel and webcam from my usb ports,and then tried my HDD,it got detected,copied 40gb data and it took around 30mins with avg speed aroound 25mbps.
    now copying a full drive(180gb) to hdd,will report back soon.
    PSU would be arranged till tomorrow only,till then i am trying to copy data.

5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Were those voltages the same with the over-clock and how do they vary under load? It may be the USB controller if they're consistant. 5% variance is safe on +12, 5 & 3.3. ATX spec allows for 10% but I wouldn't trust that.

6. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    the cpu core voltage was 1.010 when i overclocked,i think they were around same levels.
    i tried all the stress test i have,with gpu and cpu both at 100% at the same time,my system didnt crash then.

the copying is still in progress,no problems yet!!

7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    A computer might not crash with improper voltage because the VRMs might be able to compensate for it, when they can't you will know and it is possible you could fry hardware in the process. Also 1.010 is very low voltage for an overclock.

mafia97 says thanks.
  8. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    I reverted back to normal clocks long time back.
    since then my system has been on default clocks,then i got gtx580 to replace my 4870,and did stress testing on default clocks,no crash.
    when i was uploading a gameplay video on youtube,it crashes twice,then i stated upload again,and did some work side by side,it didnt crash.
    so are my voltages in the required range??

9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    he's reading from software.

software voltage readings are pure guesswork, and should not be used.

unplugging other USB devices and getting the drive working is a give-away, the mobo must be using the 5VSB (5 volt standby) rail, and its weakening/failed/not good enough.

make sure you buy a quality branded PSU, do NOT go by wattage alone. get some advice before leaping in on this one (example: a 430W corsair is better than a 600W generic)

Aquinus says thanks.
  10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I personally have had great luck with Corsair (350-watt and 800-watt) and Seasonic (550-watt, and 1kW). I had a good BFG power supply (550-watt) a number of years ago, but they went out of business.

Never skimp on the PSU, people never seem to believe me when I say it is one of the most important parts for your computer, even more so since there are a lot of poor quality PSUs on the market.

Mussels is right, it sounds like your +5Vsb could be struggling. Do your USB ports still provide power even when the system is powered off?

Edit: If you want to take the risk that your PSU might fry your computer, a powered USB hub might solve your problem but I highly recommend a new PSU.

11. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    i cant find jumper setting for usb on my board :( , so that i can get it to work on 5v if it is working on 5vsb.
    can u help in finding it?
    i will first check with another spare psu,and if that works,i will buy new psu for my system.
    are tagan PSUs any good(which i have)??
    I am asking this because,if they are not good,then I will not buy from this company again,and not recommend to my friends too.

12. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    never tried it,will try it now.
    and sorry i couldnt understand your last line.

EDIT:my HDD was getting power with my system turned off,but not my mouse,which also connects to USB

13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    that means its running off 5VSB for sure. if any device has power, it means its on the standby rail.

the reason some devices power off and some dont is the option in windows device manager 'allow windows to turn off this device to save power' checkbox.

just remember that if you use a low quality spare, the problem may still exist. no idea on tagan build quality, it comes down to the *model* more so than the brand. corsair have had a few flops before as well, but overall they're excellent - even the worst companies (thermaltake comes to mind for me) have had a few stellar units (they had one 750W model that rivaled corsair)

14. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    A powered USB hub, you know a hub that takes in external power from a 5v adapter?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub

15. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
  16. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
  17. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    I cant arrange the PSU :(.
    so i am testing my system for few weeks,and see if a problem occurs.

18. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,
    I am bumbping up my old thread because the problem strikes again
    even after me buying corsair tx750w new PSU.
    currently trying to backup my data, but i dont think now PSU is the problem, PSU is new and i dont think it would weaken so early.
    so please help guys

19. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    BUMP, please help guys, the problem is not yet solved :(

20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    so to clarify the problem:

hard drives that work in other systems, that are powered by USB are still not working on your system even after a PSU change?

I cant remember if this was discussed, but have you also changed the motherboard jumpers so that your USB is powered by 5V, and not 5VSB (if applicable)?

21. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    yup you are correct, i bought new TX750 PSU, but still the problem persist.
    and yes the jumper settings were discussed, but my mobo doesnt have jumper settings for USB
    i looked for it .

22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    does the problem exist on the USB ports on the motherboard (not the case!), with no other USB devices connected?

Hell, disconnect the USB ports on the case from the motherboard while you're at it. one of them could be screwing things up.

23. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    Done both the things, but the problem still shows up after some time
    removed case usb , extra usb , other usb devices, but still problem shows up, formatted HDD , still also the problem is there

24. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if nothing else is connected to the USB, then it has to be a fault with the motherboard.

once you rule out the USB ports themselves, the power to them, and the device - all thats left is the USB controller itself.

Hmmm. would you have a PCI USB card lying around? trying one of those in the system should resolve the problem, with its ports. if it doesnt, then it could narrow it down more (say, to some kind of short on the 5V rail in general, since it gets its power elsewhere)

25. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    I have asked my friend to bring a USB HUB , when i googled the problem it was most recommended solution.
    we have to connect all the device to the hub so that only one USB port on motherboard is in operation, that way only one port would get power