1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate might buy over OCZ?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Elmo, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Elmo

Elmo

Thanks Received:
    http://www.reuters.com/

Well what do you guys think? I think if this happens i might start buying ocz ssd ,hoping that
    their reliability have improved.
  2. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Reuters is losing it's credibility. I'm not saying it's false but they're getting this info from Fudzilla direct.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/28001-seagate-probing-ocz-acquisition

Shame on international journalism.
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  3. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Even though i'm not a huge fan of OCZ i just don't want this. I don't want all the storage devices be under just 2 major manufacturers (WD and Seagate). Because that's just shite for consumers.
  4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Seagate has to aquire a manufacturer of solid-state memory drives because they have no interest in researching it themselves. You'd think they wouldn't chose OCZ of all those available though. There's equally performing manufacturers available for substantially less.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. silapakorn

silapakorn

Thanks Received:
    Last year Seagate netted more than 30% of profit because they jacked up HDD price when WD's factories in Thailand were destroyed by flood and caused HDD shortage. And now they start buying other companies. What an evil organization.
  6. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    WD already purchased one SSD maker in the past but they never really produced anything good other than some crap JMicron based drives.
  7. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    If they cannot ship HDDs because of a ruined infrastruture, while demand keeps the same or even increases prices will go up (the Law of supply and demand). This includes SG drives even if those are made elswhere. After all there is a shift in the "balance" between demand and supply (with the demand "scoring" in favor of supply) so prices go up.
    Crunching for Team TPU