1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Drives

Discussion in 'Storage' started by sapetto, Aug 26, 2010.

1. sapetto

sapetto

Thanks Received:
    SOURCE

I was just browsing my local pc shop website and found the drives. Are they worth it, faster than regular HDD?
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    There have been a few threads about this here. The 4GB SSD is used as a big cache. IIRC, in the end it does become faster than a WD Black once the cache learns what programs you use the most.

But I think most of use would like to see a 3.5" version with a bigger SSD.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    +1
  4. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    :mad: dam i was hoping it was a pata drive, as i could have used it in my cctv's dvr unit

i recently tried a pata to sata converter which was rubbish, and although it worked in my old pc on a sata 3 western digital 1tb transfering old files (my old pc could only see upto 320gb :twitch::wtf::shadedshu:cry:) it had terrible recording quality (flickering stuttering bad picture in the cctvs dvr)

still interesting news though:D
  5. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    This is a good idea IMO, but the cost of SSDs are dropping quick, so I think this is just a waste. For $100 you can now grab a Sandforce driven 40GB SSD, which will only drop in price in the next few months. In the end I would just grab a pair of these for RAID 0 and have more space and run circles around this drive...for the same price as the 250GB model.
  6. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I don't think this would make a difference for DVR anyway, which doesn't have much of a spread between frequently and infrequently accessed portions of the storage medium, so the SSD cache wouldn't really have a place.

Question—any idea how the SSD cache in these drives would work in a RAID array (off to Google I go)?
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010