1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate vs. Western Digital

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by t77snapshot, Mar 23, 2009.

?

Seagate vs. Western Digital

Poll closed May 22, 2009.
  1. Seagate Barracuda

23 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. Western Digital

52 vote(s)
    69.3%
  1. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Hey whats up, I'm looking to upgrade to a larger hdd. I've heard lots of good things about both. I know they come really close with good warranties, power efficiency and running quite. Are these companies both in a tie breaker? I want to know TPU's opinion?
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I buy whichever offers the best GB/$, both make great drives.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  3. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I would normally say +1.

But what with bricked Seagate drivers due to bad firmware, it has put me off Seagate for a little while.

Tho I have to be honest, I wouldnt let it make me pass up on a good deal. :p
  4. Jakl

Jakl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Had Seagate all my computer life, had only 1 crapped out , but overall just go for the best money buck.. These days , all HDD's are pretty much the same.

But I voted Seagate
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The bricked drives were the user's fault...maybe slightly Seagate's fault, but only becuase they lets the users be free to screw up their drives.
    Crunching for Team TPU 25 Million points folded for TPU
  6. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    I can deal with either brand. WD has been good to me recently I had a drive on the last month of a 5yr warranty go bad. I had a new replacement in less than 2 weeks and I did the slow mail mine out then they mail out the replacement when they get my old drive. Very satisfied with customer support there at the moment.
    I guess if they were equal cost for the same space it would be better to know what your main purpose or wants for the drive was. One may be faster in some areas than the other brand or quieter etc.
  7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had them both but only up to 16meg SATA drives.

I really like the Spinpoint F1 I have now, but it is 32meg.
  8. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Seagate make quiet, leisurely drives. Western Digital make louder, better performing drives. Get the Western Digital.
  9. Morrison5891

Morrison5891 New Member

Thanks Received:
    WD was known for their loud drives up until a few years ago.... They have over come this and offer great performance and a much quieter drive then Seagate.... Do the right thing and get a WD
  10. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    +1

Sure there have been some issues over @ Seagate with firmware stuff, an error I don't imagine they'll let slip too often.

:toast:
  11. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a lot of drives from both and I don't really notice anything. I would grab Western Digital tho because I like how they're twice as big as all my seagates! And I've had 4 500gb WD in my server for almost 2 years now with no hitch. I move stuff constantly off of them and so does my dad.

I grabbed a Seagate 250gb 7200.10 RPM for my rig because the 7200.10's were the best at the time!
  12. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I have both in my system(both are 160GB so a total of 320GB), both are great, sometimes the Seagate can make this semi loud pitch noise, but i have seen no ill effects. And my Western Digital has been running fine to.:)
  13. thebeephaha

thebeephaha New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had to vote WD.

I am a huge Seagate fan but as of late, I cannot trust their drives.

I have mostly Seagate drives in my server, from the 7200.9 to 7200.10 series and they are rock solid. The new 7200.11s just killed Seagate's reputation.

I am really fond of the WD blue and black series drives right now and of course Raptors.

As for other companies, I own some Samsung F1 drives and they are okay but the quality varies too much from drive to drive, speed inconsistencies and incompatibility issues.

I have some Hitachi drives but they run super hot and need an extra amount of cooling, they are also extremely noisy more so than my Raptors.
  14. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I cant vote either way. Both are great manufactures that go tit for tat with products and technologies.

Personally I have used both and cant claim a victor.
  15. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    i used always seagate and a couple of wd. imo the western is good but my vote goes for the seagate.
  16. Conflict0s

Conflict0s New Member

Thanks Received:
    Had my WD for over 3 years now. Love it. Only reason for me to change is because I want RAID.
  17. Nemesis881 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have one of each.
    320gb Seagate and a 160gb WD. The seagate is quieter and has faster peak transfer. Although the WD tends to load things a little smoother. Thats why I have BF 2142 on the WD lol.
  18. {JNT}Raptor

{JNT}Raptor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had bought 2--500 gig Seagate 7200.11's .....one died the first week....the other showed signs of impending failure.....replaced them with 2--500 gig WD Blacks and no issues as of yet...both are smooth and fast.

So WD gets my vote. :)
  19. zookeeper820 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like wd until the last one brought a couple of years ago 160 gig crapped out sent in for replacement used about 1 year. Just replaced it with a Hitachi 500 gig, will not buy another wd,
    never had a problem with Seagate.
  20. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Ive had both Brands, sorta 50/50 use with both, i found my older WD 120 was a faster, quieter, but hotter running HDD, compared to the seagate that i feel are a little slower and noisier for sure, but run cooler. I allways would beat my m8s Brand new computer in loading and mine was 2yrs old hehe.

Only reason im running seagate at the moment was because of price and warranty (was 5yrs), and the place i bought all my computer parts only stocked Seagates.

After the issues that seagate have been having lately and there warranty dropped im going to go back to WD this time and see how they go. Ive had one WD fail on me, well it was dead on arrival and ive had one seagate also start to die on me to, So its 50/50 so far. Allways had a soft spot for WD's ;)
  21. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I've had my mix of drives but I would have to say I've owned alot of WD's compared to any other brand. Right now I'm using two WD 1Tb Black editions and they are quite, not to hot, and plenty fast. Soon I'll be getting another one to setup a RAID 5 but anyways, WD gets my vote.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    This really isn't the correct way to ask what HDD manufacture to go with. Both manufactures offer one drive that is better than its counter and Vice versa.

Take for example the large TB+ HDD's. If you want a HDD that is just for storage maybe the new 2TB HDD would be better but...they are the "green" drives so they are not as fast as Seagates 1.5TB then again they;re the "green" ones so they're more efficient.

Another example would be any of the ES HDD's from Seagate compared to those AAKS from Western Digital.

It all depends on what you want and what they will be used for.
    Good Luck!
    Regards

Damian
  23. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    I love my Western Digital 640gb and 1tb blacks. These things freakin rock. Had to vote WD!!
  24. Roph

Roph

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't rule out samsung, their spinpoint F1s are impressive :)
  25. Conflict0s

Conflict0s New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have just decided to get 2 320gb 16mb cache Spinpoint F1's for my raid setup :D