1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seasonic Platinum Series Fanless 460 W

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by crmaris, Feb 22, 2013.

1. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
    m1dg3t, natr0n, heky and 2 others say thanks.
  2. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Very nice review! I just don't know if I could ever get my self to feel safe using a fanless power supply. Hopefully in a few months Platinum PSU's will go down in price.

Also Crmaris is their a rating after Platinum? I know for other things (not computers) it goes Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Executive but that wouldn't sound right. Maybe Diamond lol.

EDIT: I looked around I guess it's Titanium. Though need 230 VAC.
    How long do you think it will be till we get 90+ White, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Titanium? I was thinking maybe 5+ years.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    Yeap it's Titanium which however isn't in effect yet.
  4. mechtech

mechtech

Thanks Received:
    Nice review crmaris.

Did you notice any mid/high frequency pitch noise? I just installed one of these in my system last week and it is the loudest thing in my PC, I can hear it from 4 ft away (1200mm)

I tried some bios settings as suggested by silent pc review (from seasonic) and tried 'breaking in' the unit by letting run at various loads all week to 100% PC load for 24 hrs.
    spcr also had issues with noise on the 520W, until the 3rd unit.
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/Seasonic_520W_Platinum_Fanless_Sample_3

Kind of a bummer after shelling out this money and getting a psu as the loudest thing in my case and a very annoying sound at that.

I might have to try to get an RMA and put the old seasonic m12II500 back in, as it was dead silent even with the fan.
    sigh...........
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  5. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    I noticed a high pitch noise only in absolute no load operation (while the PSU was on of course), which is an unrealistic scenario for a normal system where even a minimum load always exists. At low/normal loads my sample didn't make any noises.
  6. efahl New Member

Thanks Received:
    That was going to be my question, but you've answered it... Do a search for "seasonic coil whine" and you'll find a lot (I'd say too many) of comments about Seasonic PSUs making noises they shouldn't.
  7. mechtech

mechtech

Thanks Received:

Indeed, maybe they should start getting coils and the rest of the parts from Japan also.

Going to apply for an RMA for mine now, if not I guess I have a 150$ paper weight