1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SeaSonic X750 Low 5v, 12v Drops Gaming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by revin, Apr 30, 2012.

1. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    I thought my FSP FX700GLN was nearing EOL so I got the Seasonic X750 to start fresh, but I'm very disapontied that the 5v rail is never at 5v, it stays at 4.9530-4.9915.

Now the 12v drops to 11.9540 when gaming.
    I really thought it was going to have "better" output than this, ie atleast the "rated voltages"

The FSP NEVER dropped below "Rated", but was starting to have more devaition,ripple what ever it's called.

I get a Lemon???:wtf:
  2. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    I would contact seasonic and RMA it, the X series gold have very high rated reviews and my x650 has been running under a high ambient for 2 years now, still hasn't failed me
  3. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    You do realize that software voltage monitoring is not very accurate hence the reason high end motherboards have voltage test points now.
    That amount of voltage drop has no impact whatsoever except in extreme circumstances ie LN2 world record attempts.

I say its fine my 12v and 5v have always fluctuated ± .100v~.200v since the day i got this PSU 4 years ago.
  4. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    A fraction of a % drop under load is well within normal operating range for that PSU. I don't see a problem.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    And, those voltages are well within accepted tolerances.
  6. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    But why did my "4" Rail FSP never go under 12v, and always had 5.xxx volts where as I'm under 5v constantlly never at or over 5v.

Is this possable the way the "Gold" standard works?
    In the SS litiature it states this is "Pull" unit ie the system Pull's the power from it??????

I guess I was expecting a "Higher{?}" voltage output from this newer technology.

I'm kind freaking out here :confused::twitch::eek:
  7. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    How are you measuring the voltages?
  8. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    Same as before, Intel XTU.
    And please before the "software" battle insues, as Dave has said it is really one of the best program's avaiable for the Intel board's.

With the ONLY factor being changed, the PSU, it clearly shows that it is "outputing" less voltage than the FSP, BUT it IS more STABLE. With that said

I'm just worried that it's "under" volting to some extent on 2 rails ........................
  9. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    ATX spec says all rails must be between +/- 5% of their rated values. That means 12v can't be less than 11.40v or greater than 12.60v, 5v can't be less than 4.75v or greater than 5.25v, and 3.3v can't be less than 3.18v or greater than 3.46v.

Your "deviation" is less than 1%. Your worries are pretty much pointless considering you're using the motherboard's sensors to measure voltage and you don't have an oscilloscope to measure the waveforms of the DC output. Being worried about this is like being worried that a Sandy Bridge CPU is going to prematurely fail because the base clock is running at 99.8MHz instead of 100.0MHz.

If anything, the deviation in your home's AC line voltage would probably scare you if you're concerned about your PSU's rails being a fraction of a percent under perfect voltages that you aren't measuring with professional equipment.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    So as in my post #6, is this the way the new PSU's act?

Stress testing dont effect the same as Gaming.............

I'm just stating the obvious differance noted after getting a "Gold" vs old ATX2.2 PSU

I expected more I guess, I mean I got a High-End PSU, you would think it would at least keep the "stated" voltages better than an old unit?!?!?!?!?!?!:mad:
  11. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:

The more likely case then the old psu being better is that it was actually worse, and by that i mean it was less capable of regulating the voltage and was actually feeding your board more power then it needed.

Throwing the software not being accurate argument off the table, the voltage loss that you are seeing is such a small amount that the only way to truly see if the new one is "worse" then the old one would be to bust out a scope and test them both.

Also if you want to run a stress test that will use more power then any game try OCCT's psu test on infinite,DX9 1024x768 64bit and use all logical cores, if you see major swings in voltages or errors there then your Concern/RMA may be justified.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  12. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    So OCCT PSU test with the Graphic did just as gaming except since it stress the entire system all 3 rails dropped.

Thing is NOW my 3.3v rail is flucuating, whereas before the OCCT test it was steady?????

FWIW XTU still is a stronger CPU stress test, at least on my board and from what Dave as mentioned XTU has a better way to load the CPU system.

So in a nut shell, CPU testing has no effect on 12v but when using GPU the unit is at least supplying a more stable output, even if at a slightly lower voltage.

OCCT PSU testing 2x

[​IMG]

After the testing, 3.3v still bouncing????? ....................What the heck has gone wrong now???

[​IMG]
  13. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    well you can keep it as it is not much different, but you can also RMA it and just pay the 15% restocking fee or so depending on where you are and which shop or something if nothings wrong is found, but imo this is an interesting subject always wanted to open up a psu.
  14. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    nothing is wrong here move along. as has been stated the volts are WELL WITHIN limits.

there is also a lot of factors that have been changed when you swap PSU. to name some,

Different efficiency, different power draw from the wall, different cables with different resistance. all these things will affect volts, not to mention the PSU itself.
  15. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    :wtf: I didnt see in any of the reviews having this kind of shit, or for that matter really none of the Silver & Gold PSU's doing this crap so YEA it makes me want to find out why my money was spent to get something to just "move along"

So every one in this thread has a PSU that drops under 12v,when Gaming with a 5870 or eqv. and wont even output 5v ?
  16. LTUGamer

LTUGamer

Thanks Received:
  17. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
  18. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    Everything seems to be in check... Get a multimeter on those v-check points if you have them, anything else is rather worthless.

Thats a known-good model of power supply, if you're really worried, rma/exchange it.
  19. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Ok, you're reading with software which is almost pointless. This is what my old system looked like in software:

[​IMG]

You CANNOT use software to do this kind of testing.
  20. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    I had a similar concern with my PSU and ADIA64, which I believe is the best software monitoring application.

During normal operation (idle at desktop), AIDA64 reported 12.068V on the 12V rail.

Under load, AIDA64 reported 11.888V.

However, I used my voltmeter to measure the 12V at idle and load and found that both were 12.06V.

If you are concerned your PSU is defective, RMA it.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  21. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    XTU is a FAR superior program for Intel M/B's

As in my #6 post I wasnt clear if the design of these newer PSU make them "seem" that they are putting out less power:confused:

In The reviews, even jhonnyguru's they all have higher 12v&5v readings at full and low power, which made me nervious when mine was off.

Any higher psu as the 1Kw dont behave the same so thats not a comparision.

My multimeter was destroyed in the passenger door:mad: so I gotta get another after we get the truck back and i'm up to getting out more. Just again eairlier this mo. we got rear ended in my wifes car on the way to my Dr. just not having too good of luck. [Makes me wonder If I finish the Firebird if I should even drive it lol]
  22. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    It's not really the software, it's the chip measuring the voltages that can be the problem. Considering the expensive Vernier scientific computer interfaces that I used in my college physics class has up to +/- 3% error range, how is the $1-2 chip on your motherboard supposed to give precision results? I bet it's not even calibrated to measure precise voltages. Plus, anything on your motherboard is subject to vdroop because of limited power inputs, trace lengths and resistances, load on the limited inputs, and probably even varying trace resistance due to board heat.

You're overthinking this too much. Measure the voltage out of your wall and gripe at the power company for giving you 118.2v instead of 120.0v. We've all told you this is not a problem. Any man made object is different and falls within a certain % tolerance that determines whether the product is correctly manufactured or defective.
    ChristTheGreat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  23. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:

well, look at this instead:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=169

or

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=185

or this platinum Seasonic: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=264

ATX SPEC are +/- 5%, like others said. You can have a less than 3.3v, 5v or 12v, like you can get more... By the way, software reading can be Wrong. I've tested a Sirtec HighPower 560w, old of 5 years of my brother.. Software and bios says 11.4v, but when plugged into my PSU tester, the 12v1 and v2 are at 12.1 at idle....

Your PSU is fine, that's it..
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    OK, I will have to take your word for it, as the last Intel board I had was a 915 and I have never used XTU.

OK, the review sample may have been overvolting, or the reviewer was actually using a meter to measure voltages, rather than software?

What?

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, I hope everything it alright?

Anyway, once you get a new meter, post back with the results.
  25. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    always check your PSU with a multimeter and do not trust any software solution since all read from the same crappy IC of the mainboard. Even the cheapest multimeter will be way more accurate.

Also here is mine (really old) review of the X-750 to get an idea.

http://www.thelab.gr/power-supplies-reviews/seasonic-x-750-go-for-gold-efficiency-78356.html

And another thing, a PSU must keep its rails close to the nominal voltages. Higher voltages are equally bad with lower ones..