1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Second thoughts on WD2001FASS

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Nailezs, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    hey guys, i just bought a WD2001FASS from the egg, but i've begun noticing that a lot of people say that WD is no longer the way to go on hard drives, and that this particular series of drive can be rather slow in some applications. i would only be using this drive for storage, no games or performance applications. i picked it becuase it was the cheapest 7200rpm 2tb hdd on the egg, i figured it wouldnt slow my boot times, would have decent transfer speeds, and the comments seemed favorable.

did i choose correctly or is there another 2tb out there that is better suited to my needs?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    How could there be anything else to better suit your needs? I suppose you could find a cheaper lesser RPM drive if you feel like saving money..

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
    Nailezs says thanks.
  3. timta2

Thanks Received:
    It's a sweet drive man, don't worry. It is somewhat pricey (with other 2GB drives a little over $100) but you get decent performance and a 5 year warranty.

Nailezs says thanks.
  4. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    awesome. my concerns stemmed from what was said in this thread about WD and this series in particular

5. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Opinions on hard drives are like opinions on politics. People will never agree on them. Some say one brand is more reliable than the other based on their limited consumption. I'm sorry but you can't have an accurate representation on a drive's reliability based on the 2 (or even 10, 100,..) drives you bought and the manufacturers aren't going to share data on initial defectives, RMAs, etc. Not to mention the way things change with the technology and the companies who make them.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Forget what ppl say, the FASS is a great drive. I don't have it for so long (just 2-3 months) but i like it. Fast, massive capacity, good access times and isn't all that noisy considering i have a PC case on my desk almost next to my head. 5 years of warranty.

If you ask me, just take it, you won't regret it.

7. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    it is fast. i havent benched it yet, waiting to set up my new raid array for that, but i did a full ntfs format on it last night after getting it all and before going to bed, and when i got up 6 1/2 hours later it was all done...2tb in 7 hours max, fully formatted. amazing!