1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Security, Format, bad Ram? Need advice in this situation

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Atnevon, May 4, 2008.

1. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Hello again All.

So I am having a problem with my rig. I've got my data backed up and ready for a format. However, I would like to try a few things and get a little advice before doing such a big step.

Here is a lowdown.

Thursday night, seems fine. CPU has stock cooler, but other than that. No biggie. I however am playing WoW, and open Firefox. Blue Screen pops up, and reboots. I try opening Firefox, and keep getting an error with something like this: 00db8758X45 error. Did not "read". Firefox refuses to open. I try Opera, and slow as hell. IE seems to be the only browser that will open.

I try a Virus scan. I have Avast. I start it, and get to 27k files, and it starts chuging then at 1 file a second. I try it multiple times. Nothing. Many other programs seem not to work or want to load. Even AdAware did not want to load. Had an error like this too. I use HiJack This to clean. Nothing bad came up that could not be deleted.

Now, I then tried a system restore in Safe Mode. Went back to May 1. Went ok, but, still could not open Firefox or many other programs.

Now, I have heard that I might have a RAM chip failing. I did clean my computer a few days ago. Roomie says it is possable that a blast of cold air from the can may have messed up a chip, but I highly doubt that unless I turn the can way to far ans spray the liquid. Could dust build up gotten into my RAM and caused this. And if it is ram, wouldn't my compy not boot up right? Also, how can I load WoW with no issue and run it?

However, which issue does this sound like to ya'll. I'm prepared for the worst (as always), but I'm curious to see what others think I might have had go wrong.

Thank You all,
    -Andrew
  2. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Atnevon says thanks.
  3. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Memtest is useless some of the time. I know of at least 2 cases where memtest has been run on broken ram and it find nothing after running for a pretty long time. In both cases the ram was replaced, still it's worth running but don't put all your faith in it.

Atnevon, how old is the RAM? Maybe take it back and they might just swap it over or something?
  4. kyle2020 Guest

i recently had a problem with my kingston RAM - it would run fine, but around once in every 5 boots i would get BSOD and firefox would screw up by re setting itself (loss of favourites + bookmarks). Ran memtest, both stick where dying, no idea how or why, so i replaced them with a better brand. i guess you get what you pay for!
  5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    How far an overclock on the Quad or is it at stock? Before saying more I must know.
  6. CarolinaKSU New Member

Thanks Received:
    Blue screens and freezing seems like dying RAM to me.. I would try Memtest and see how it does. Let it run multiple passes, it will take a while but I would let it do at least 3 passes and if you get a bunch of errors early in the test you pretty much know immediately the memory is screwed. If you get errors at all that may be a sign of an overzealous overclock even though nothing may be wrong with it. Test at stock speeds and voltage and if you get any kind of errors, RMA them.
    Atnevon says thanks.
  7. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Ok. I'm gonna try the memtest tonight. It sucks big time, since I have those ultra pretty Ballistix. Well. Lifetime Warranties are good right? Right. Just have to RMA to Newegg and have it all sorted out if that is the case. (Crosses fingers) I'll just go pick up some 2gb at Best Buy or something for the time being, then take those bitches back when my new ones get here.

I'll report back later. As for now, thanks for the help. Oh, and Jr, I have all settings at stock. No overclock plans. Yet...The RAM is still set at the factory reccomended 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v.

I'll also try out my roomies RAM as well. Possabilities are endless.

BTW, love the Clarkson avatar.
    Last edited: May 5, 2008
  8. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    try to use different one piece of ram in different slot
  9. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    ok. SO mem test came up all clean. I'm going to try using my roomates RAM anyway just to see. Right now I'm trying a virus scan agian, but this time in Safe Mode. Hopefully if I leave it going while I am at class it will have completed by the time I come back.

Also, I tried switching RAM slots. No good.

Here is the error exactly when I tried to load Firefox agian:

"The insruction at "0x01758570" referenced memory at "0x01758570". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program"

and for my AdAware:

"System Error: 1810 has occured. Description: Service is not online. Application terminates."

So for now that is what I can report. Any thoughts so far?

-Andrew