1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

seeing the pagefile use

Discussion in 'General Software' started by regan1985, Jul 25, 2008.

1. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    does anyone know of seeing in say graph form when how much of the pagefile is bing used, even better a graph for vista sidebar?

2. P4-630

P4-630

Thanks Received:
    Rightclick "Computer" -> Properties -> Advanced system settings (on the left) -> in the system properties click on the "Advanced" tab then the button "Settings" under Performance, tab "Advanced", here you can see or change the size of Virtual memory.

Sorry, but why would you like to know?
    Almost running out of disk space maybe?

3. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks i did know about the bit you jst said thanks anyway, i just wated to see while im playing my game on the network,(football manager) ive been told its a game that just needs a lot of ram and ive seen my ram goes down to 20 left and wanted to see if it was using the page file.

4. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have a pagefile enabled you are always using it irrespective of how much ram you have installed, Windows naturally uses it by preference for some "swopping" tasks.

5. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
  6. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Like Tatty said if it is enabled then you will use it what ever you are doing.To keep a check on it open up Task Manager and under the Processes tab click on view and you can enable lots of different columns eg Memory -Paged and non paged.

7. wolf2009 Guest

you can view the ram and page file usage in-game with rivatuner statistics server and hardware monitor.

8. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    task manager shows how much page file windows is using iirc its under the performance tab :toast:

9. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    is there a way of telling vista to not use page file unless needed or to not use it with certain games as this may make my game slower or faster!

10. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    you are joking right ? if your on about doing this on the rig in your specs, i wouldnt reccomend it at all, with 1gb ram your rig will depend highly on the pagefile and reducing/disabling it would severly degrade your performance. also i think vista actually needs the pagefile where as Xp you could turn it off if you had enough ram 4Gb+ , but its still not reccomended.

if your having performance issues in games this will only make your problems a heap worse, my best advice would be to get yourself a good 2Gb kit of ram to help you in games, ram is dirtcheap at the minute and a half-decent kit would only set you back £30 (oh wait just noticed you have ddr1 :rolleyes:)

found THIS on ebay which is a pretty good price, and generic memory is normally quite stable as long as its not overclocked. or maybe try and get another 2x512mb of your corsair ram ?

11. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    One tip is to ensure both your min and max size are the same, I would suggest you set both at 2048mb, with your Gig of RAM that should be more than enough, whatever you set just make sure they are the same.

12. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    im just seeing if i can play with it to make it run a little better as i am running as the surver so the longer it takes on my machine the longer my friends have to wait, the main issue is the upload speed but that cant be fixed. im not going to upgrade dd1 costs way to much and im getting a new setup october as i can still play any game out on med setup. cheers for the help guys

13. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    also never buy from that person on ebay, they owe me £45 as i paid for some of that ram and they told me it would work which it didnt sent me more still didnt work sent it back and nothing back this was like a year ago. sorry but i would never advise that person smiletango

14. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just so happens I have 4x512mb sticks of Crucial Ballistix DDR500 for sale, can't get them new anymore but these had only 6 weeks use, I'll let you have the lot for £80, when they were available they were £70 per pair. Postage would be extra at a fiver Special Delivery. End plug, lol