1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sega - Blast from the Past - Awesome Read

Discussion in 'Games' started by Super XP, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Hi everybody, this is a really amazing read. It's cool to hear that the Sega Genesis was outselling SNES by as much as 5 to 1 and the Sega Dreamcast was the most successfully selling gaming Console of all time in North America. All I have to say is Thank you very much Sega, you've paved the way for the Future of Console Gaming!Anyway, EnJoY

Sega of America in the early 1990s
    These days it might be Xbox 360 vs PS3,
    but back in the day it was Genesis vs SNES and contrary to belief. Sega Genesis was doing really well (Awesome) back in the 1990s, and so was the Game Gear and Sega CD.

I got this article from factiva, it's a electronic library journal. If you go to a university you should have access to these types of resources.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. stuartb04

stuartb04

Thanks Received:
    great read there xp

yea i grew up with the genesis vs snes era
    best gaming memories ever

would like to see the figures for uk sales tho

3. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    The dreamcast was killed off by piracy. I remember when copyed dreamcast games where selling on carboot sales world wide. Best of all no hardware mod was needed to run copyed games :laugh:

4. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    The Sega Game Gear sucked balls, I had it and hated it. Would have loved a Gameboy :(

The Dreamcast was an amazing system that still is played today.

5. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Still have my Genesis/Sega CD and the Dreamcast. I still hold the dreamcast as the best console ever made and I wish that Sega would stop being 3rd party and actually make a Dreamcast 2.

Super XP says thanks.
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I still have my Master System, Genesis w/32x (Sucked), and the venerable Sega Saturn. The Saturn was one of the biggest purchasing mistakes I've made, especially since it wass $499.

7. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's global sales that count in global buisiness :p

8. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    I heard somewhere you can play ps1 games on the dreamcast aswell or something along those lines..

9. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I still have my Sega Saturn. I have an Action Replay (or whatever the hell it's called) so I can play Japanese games. I mostly play X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (predecessor to Marvel Vs. Capcom) and Radiant Silvergun (both are Japanese originals). I bought the Saturn long after it was considered retired in the states for only a few dollars.

These days I rarely boot up the Saturn because my PC can emulate the Saturn just swell. What really killed the Saturn was that they weren't importing enough games from Japan (or so I hear). A lot of the best Dreamcast games never made it stateside either.

Interestingly enough xbox live now has Ikaruga (and lots of other lost classics), my personal favorite game that was Japan-only on the Dreamcast (though later released on the GameCube in the states). I finally bought a copy of the gamecube version of Ikaruga which I play occasionally on my Wii.

I've never owned a Genesis but I spent a lot of time playing it back in it's heydey. I regularly play the classic SNES and Genesis games on my PC, the way god intended them to be immortalized. :D

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  10. JC316

Thanks Received:
    It was called Bleemcast and sony shit canned it FAST.

11. Zen_

Zen_

Thanks Received:
    Genesis, CD, Saturn, Dreamcast...owned 'em all! Toe Jam and Earl were just too cool for Nintendo. I don't even remember what the tragic end of the Dreamcast was caused by. Sega was producing some of their finest games ever and suddenly all the 3rd party developers jumped shipped. I still got mine, gota get a play through of Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II and Shenmue in every 2-3 years. Oh and the days of ChuChu Rocket!

Attached Files:

12. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    Dreamcast got hit hard, DVD was all the rage at the time and the DC was expensive when it launched, and I remember I bought one Day 1 for like 200 or 300 bucks on christmas and the price dropped so fast I felt like bitch slapping myself, the PS2 came out and sony spammed, it plays dvd's it does everything, microsoft did the same thing with the xbox and then GC had the cheap spot for kids even though the GC was the same price i think, nintendo just has that name that resonates, Sega was just left out to the side and it had some decent games but it seemed like a console more directed towards the japanese market than the worldwide market, piracy helped also but it would have still run out of juice either way.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  13. DM3K

DM3K

Thanks Received:
    I just pulled my old genesis/sega cd out of storage a few day ago, and the games are still just as fun.

14. segalaw19800

segalaw19800

Thanks Received:
    I still have doom for the 32x . :twitch:

Super XP says thanks.
  15. JC316

Thanks Received:
  16. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Sega's mistake was they should have made a hand held Game Gear that played Sega Genesis games or something, that would have been a big winner IMO.

17. JC316

Thanks Received:
    They did. It's called the Sega Nomad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Nomad

18. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    I really can't say that was the direct cause of dreamcast dying. I think dreamcast died IMO, because of the sega saturn. IMO, sega could of kept the dreamcast going, because of this:

#1 According to Bernie Stolar, former President and CEO of Sega of America, the Dreamcast was discontinued because the new chairman of Sega wanted the company to focus on software

Follow up with this:

#2 at the end of 2004, dream-cast had 9 million fans

------->

Estimated hardware sales by end of 2004

North America 4 million
    Europe 2 million
    Japan 3 million
    Worldwide total 9 million

They could of kept the dream-cast alive, but looking at #1 and number #2, they made a decision to close its doors, which i think was a horrible idea. They could of created a team to just work on dream-cast games and gather some 3rd party companies to continue working on them, bringing in some profit, and still had the other side focus on software games like they are doing now.

Btw, quoting 9 million , what i was getting it, thats enough to continue with the system, so #1 is really the cause of death of the dreamcast

19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I call BS on some of these points. The Dreamcast did not sell more then the NES in the US. There is a lot of "fluff" in that article.

20. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Goodness Freaking Sakes, for a Sega fan I didn't know about this :laugh: DAM, double DAM :laugh: It's too bad it got released way too late in the game. If Sega released this instead of the Game Gear, it would have been a success IMO. But anyway, here's a link, it sold about 1 million units as of 2007...
    LINK:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Nomad
    They did sell that many units.

21. sliderider

Thanks Received:
    No, the DC was NOT killed off by piracy. It was killed off by the PS2. Once Sony announced the release date for PS2, DC sales died out and everyone pre-ordered PS2 instead because it did more than play games. Sega continued to support the Dreamcast in Japan for years after it was discontinued in N. America and Europe. New consoles and games were still being sold as late as 2006 and there were still some small, independent developers releasing games for it through unofficial channels as recently as 2010.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  22. sliderider

Thanks Received:
    The Sega Nomad was good, but the problem was who wanted to carry around a bunch of Genesis carts? It's even worse with something like the Game Axe that plays NES carts. Large cartridges kinda defeat the purpose of going portable.

23. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I think that so-called news article is really just one big quote from the Sega president. No news agency would use the word "stellar" when referring to sales. It certainly doesn't paint an accurate picture. Most sources place the total SNES sales at about 3 to 1 over the Sega systems.

24. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Sega is releasing the Ultimate Dreamcast collection this year. the Genesis collection was really good.

streetfighter 2 says thanks.
  25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah? Well it also said it was the "Dreamcast" was the most successful selling console in north America? Well I got news for ya buddy. The NES sold 61.91 million units world wide. If it wasn't for the NES we would have lost video games to the 1983 crash. That article you posted is a lot of fluff. I mean for f#@K sake they only made 10.6 million units of the Dreamcast. Nintendo won the console wars man. I'm a huge SEGA fan but lets be realistic here.