1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sega Genesis Classics Now On Steam Via Emulation: The Experience

Discussion in 'Games' started by Robert-The-Rambler, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    The emulation is flawless and the application is very straight forward as after installation all your Genesis games will be available from the same interface not separate like your PC Games. Programming the keys into my Logitech gamepad emulating a keyboard is so easy.

The topic was discussed earlier here as TPU and the prices are maybe a litttle bit much, especially the current Sega Classics pack that goes for about $35.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4391/

Certainly a bit much for a pack that includes some B level games and some games that have also been emulated for other platforms like Golden Axe on Dreamcast. (The Dreamcast emulation was flawed and audio quality suffered greatly as the console could not do the midi music justice at all and it sounded a lot worse) Yes I do still have a working Dreamcast. :laugh:

So far I've been testing it out with Golden Axe, the first Genesis game I ever played many years ago circa 1990, and I suck royally. After I wasted all my lives I got a D rating for my efforts. The music would really be so great if it was fully orchestrated but asking for a remix of a $2.99 20 year old game is a bit much. It sounds pretty much like the Genesis I remember and the picture quality with the enhanced filter is amazing for such an old 2D game.

I sure hope they release all the classic RPGs like Phantasy Star 2, 3 and 4 among many other great Genesis games like Streets of Rage. I hope this all works out and Nintendo steps to the plate, too. You would think that Sony could cash in with Playstation games as well but they like to offer them in the handheld format so that might be a detractor but there is a huge market of Steam customers to tap for all the major console producing companies. I would think that Steam could really turn emulation into a hugely profitable business for the companies involved and an exciting one for us gamers. :toast:

2. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Needz moar Phantasy Star.

3. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith

Thanks Received:
    Good games for high price. I rather bust out my Genesis all over again and play it the old school style. ;) but thats just me

4. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    I sold my Genesis 14 years ago

The emulation is better quality than the old console. :) God bless the save state features meaning you can save at any time making things easier especially before that tough boss battle.

5. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    :eek: no thanks, ill just keep my psp :p

Nintendo and Sony are never going to do that when they are making a killing re-releasing all the old games on the current gen consoles already

6. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Were talking about 20 year old games here, yikes! They should sell for less than a dollar each imho.

7. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    Try it before you decide

The quality of the image far exceeds the crappy PSP image quality or DS. They do enhance the graphics a bit. Try out Golden Axe on a 32" 1080p television or better yet Ecco the Dolphin now with 60 FPS. It looks great for a 20 year old game. I'm willing to pay. The midi sounds terrible for Genesis as it did most of the time. Man, the SNES sound chip was a lot better.

Why wouldn't they embrace the Steam way of doing things? It probably costs peanuts. The emulators are already out there and have been for quite some time. The R and D was done by fans of the actual games so having a legitimate PC business model for emulation makes a lot of sense using Steam.They only make more money with very little effort. Why cut out the PC people?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I grab Gens or Gens 32 (KEGA) for playing Genesis, CD, and 32X games.

9. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    ive been tempted to get altered beast and golden axe, those were my favorite games back in the day. Im just hoping steam does a 50% off deal or something on the entire pack. The rest of the games I could care less for but I figure 6 bucks for 2 or all for 20 bucks or something. Love the idea behind this.

10. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    That was my thinking too

Why pay for what I don't want?

I just got Golden Axe and Ecco The Dolphin so far. Altered Beast is tempting me but I think I need to maximize my vacation time a little better. I just bought Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age Origins and have not touched each one as of yet.

11. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm, its not the same experience, but if steam launch the game for $2 each, i will grab it,

and I was golden axe fans, shame they don't release the sequel anymore, if they do i will be freak out.

12. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    damn I was at work tonight on a smoke break and we were talking about old genesis games... irony.

I am trying to figure out the name of the game that was like GTA but it wasn't GTA but was about a dude that you ran around the maps leveling up.