1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sell my two 5850's to buy a couple of GTX 460's?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by 20mmrain, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    So I have been reading the reviews about the GTX 460's. They look impressive. I am sure there will be allot of similar questions out there like this..... but after seeing those reviews..... It's got me thinking.

Should I sell my 5850's for a couple of GTX 460's to SLI.

There are some pro's and con's

Pro's.....
    1. Performance is close enough that I won't notice the loss.
    2. Nvidia's features Physx/Folding/ Better drivers...
    3. I have got the change of equipment itch.
    4. Better in DX11 then ATI's offerings.

Cons....
    1. Lesser performance overall.
    2. While it's a great overclocker I doubt that they can beat my 5850's in overclocking.
    3. No cooling on the memory.
    4. Still very new. Not sure how many of these benches are blown up more then they should be. Because of new release of the card.

So you see. I got a dilemma.....

So I thought to myself if I could hear some arguments from you guys it might help me make up my mind.
    I mean both set up's will serve me just fine. I could play all of todays games on either setup....plus I do play at high enough resolutions to make either setup worth it.

Thanks for any advice. Don't mean to be such a Noob with this question.... but you know how it gets when you can't make up your mind.
  2. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    no
    El_Mayo says thanks.
  3. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    LOL maybe it might just be my dis pare from being so frustrated from ATI's drivers and support lately.

I shouldn't probably be so on the whim.

Then let me ask you.... with looking at some of the reviews..... do you think they are as close in terms of performance as they say they are????

I mean I trust wizzrds review.... he says that there is still a decent gap between the two. But looking other places like Guru and Andy tech..... they say something different.
  4. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    yeah the performance is pretty close. but your trading cooler& less power consuming for a hotter and more power user.
  5. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    You do make a very good point. Plus.... like they all have been saying. With overclocking the memory. It doesn't do well. While that isn't me only deciding factor. I do allot of benching.... and If I will be loosing score is it worth it? HMMM????

Still would like to hear more but thanks you make some very good points.
  6. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    the 460 doesn't use much power. Also the 460 is ass slow and expensive for the speed... it OC's well and all but I wouldnt get one. Just wait for the 475 and unload your 5850's then.

Also if drivers are your pet peeve you might just wanna go for a single GPU card.
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No +1. One generally "upgrades" to different graphics cards to gain performance, not go sideways or backwards.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  8. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    No+2
  9. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    No +3 lol.. no really though.
  10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    i wouldnt trade them.
  11. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Agreed.

I'm going with a no on this one.
  12. kylew

kylew New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seconded, I've just moved from a 4850 (well two, but when using softTH the second is useless) to a 2GB 5870 and that's a huge performance gain.

As for the drivers thing, seriously, are people STILL saying this? This hasn't been true for so long, it's not even funny.

It's one of those things that so many people (who are ignorant to the truth) say that it becomes accepted as the truth.

nVidia drivers aren't massively more stable than ATi's, not at all. In fact according to Tweaktown and a lot of user reports, nVidia's drivers aren't so great, and have been like that for the best part of a year now.

But in general, they're as bad as each other when it comes to "stability".
  13. robn

robn New Member

Thanks Received:
    No ...there's always something much, much more fun in six months' time.
  14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess you haven't had a good taste of 10.6 yet.
  15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Usually the ones who have troubles are the ones that switch from a NV part, or are constantly changing drivers, When it comes time to switch drivers its always best to verify DirectX is updated along with the motherboard and sound drivers. I'm going to say this, on both sides it is not worth the time changing drivers every month because you will spend more time doing that than actually using the computer. Both my laptop and desktop use ATI parts and run perfectly fine and use drivers from 2010.

16. kylew

kylew New Member

Thanks Received:
    Running them right now on my 5870. However, I didn't say either side are free from driver issues, but people need to calm down when going on about them.

The whole "ATI has consistently bad drivers" is nonsense, and the only people who say it (for the most part) are those who use this as a reason not to by ATi hardware, which demonstrates that they actually don't have firsthand experience of these "problems" that they're talking about.
  17. kylew

kylew New Member

Thanks Received:
    True, those that use every new release are more prone to problems, however in my personal experience, I very rarely experience driver issues, and I do update my drivers every month in general.
  18. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    @20mmrain
    Hey, man are you serious?
    Don't even think about that again. Maybe when GTX 475 comes out you should think it again...
    20mmrain says thanks.
  19. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I usually wait 4-5 Months before Driver releases
  20. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Thank you all for the opinions.... after thinking about it for awhile. I most agree with you guys.

If I was going to trade or sell them for these.... it wouldn't of been for upgrading purposes. Because I know that would be more sideways.

It would of just been done for something new to play with.

But after thinking about it..... I will wait to see what else they bring out. Someone said here they might bring out a GTX 475... that might be good to look into.

It has just been my complete frustration with ATI's drivers. Someone said.... "Go single card" Well I might agree with that except I am coming from originally a single 5870.

Even then I was frustrated with ATI's Drivers. It's weird I used to be one of those who never had a problem with ATI's drivers until recently after the 10.4's have come out.

I tend to do a lot of installing and uninstalling of Drivers. So since i haven't done a clean install since Windows 7 has come out. It could be possibly because of that.

So once my new Raptor arrives in the mail and I do a fresh OS install.... I will have a better Idea then.

Just getting so frustrated....

Thanks again guys.... I will stick with what I have for awhile longer.
  21. Gjohnst4

Gjohnst4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hard to ignore the itch, buts its the better decision.
    20mmrain says thanks.
  22. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, no no no no no NO!
  23. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    +1
    Plain and simple. I don't really understand why you even considered this!
  24. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    While the PhysX are nice when the game uses it, I don't think it is a must have option for me.

Better folding....granted very true, but they are working on improving the ATI drivers for folding now that the 400 series drivers are working. This may not be true for long.

Better DX11 performance for SLI is based on drivers. And on that note I disagree about the drivers. I have had just as many issues from Nvidia drivers as ATI drivers. I like ATI's consistant monthly updates better than Nvidia's when we get around to it approach. While good with hotfixes and there is still no real wait, I can bank on ATI's monthly releases chock full of updates, fixes, and performance improvements.

As far as my opinion goes, you should totally sell your 5850's and switch to Nvidia. PM when you do, I will take one off your hands. :)
    20mmrain says thanks.
  25. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    LOL If I do end up doing that I will contact you asap :)