1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Selling i7 for a Mac i5 Speed Difference?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bettz, Jul 4, 2011.

1. bettz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all well the times come to sell my pc currently its a i7 920 2.6ghz 6gb DDR3 Ram.Im getting a 27" i5 2.6ghz 4gb ddr3 Ram i will upgrade this to 6gb when ive got some more cash.Is there going to be a massive speed difference?They've both got a 4850 gpu
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Id say yes, purely for the fact that i7 is hyper threaded and the i5 is not.

As for how slow it is. it probably wont make much real world difference for everyday tasks but when it comes to gaming or media encoding and such, thats when you will really notice the difference
  3. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    If you love gaming, then I wouldnt do it personally as theres limited games titles on Mac.
    You wont have any future upgrade options if you move to the Mac (besides gfx card & ram)
    You cant overclock the Mac and get the most out of your processor.

At stock, the i5 has a higher clock speed and will be slightly faster in some applications, but if you kept your current i7 and overclocked it, it would have much more grunt, specially in multithreaded app's than a stock speed i5 in a Mac.
  4. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    You only notice the difference in multithreaded apps like video/3D rendering and virtual machines.

Also, don't bother going Mac unless you have a specific reason to.
  5. bettz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cheers guys im not really gaming on my pc anymore just use it for internet,itunes downloading and converting vids (which i expect is where i'll notice a difference)
  6. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Depends if it's an 1155 i5, if so it will be better than his current i7 in most things. Why are you buying a mac anyway? with the cost of one of those you could build a new pc from the ground up and upgrade your GPU in the process.
  7. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Well, new iMacs have Sandybridge chips so you'll be netting a speed increase really.
  8. bettz New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's nothing wrong with my current set up its more than adequate.I've always wanted a Mac the main plus for me is the space it'll save with not having to have a tower
  9. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure the i7 920 will be faster at encoding files if you overclock it a bit. it has more threads.

Bear in mind that the Mac you buy now will not be upgradable, so you should probably look at getting the i7 equivalent unless you want to be buying a whole new machine again soon.
  10. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    You don't really need to upgrade Macs tho. They (and the software) don't advance at the rapid rate the Windows world does.
  11. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    yeah but i think the most important thing to take into consideration is this:

[​IMG]
    ShiBDiB, Maban, Eva01Master and 6 others say thanks.
  12. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you just really want the mac experience then go for it. I would recommend installing hackintosh on your current machine if possible instead though. You might seriously regret not being able to do certain things. You can always install windows on the mac, although it won't be the same.
  13. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    If your doing heavy video editing or using photoshop i would say mac has the better package on their side than windows.
    Their adobe photoshop is a lot better than windows version,but if its for general use i would just upgrade or keep your current system.
    As for saving space you can always go sandy bridge and get like those small media HTC case or something similar.
  15. Ray_Rogers2109

Ray_Rogers2109 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why not build your own with the exact same specifications, save the money compared to a steeply overpriced and other expletives Mac?
  16. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    I never understood the fascination to spend 2x or more for a mac. I have a friend that spent 15K for a server system and she has tech support over there fixing it all the time.

The only reason it "seems more reliable" is because hackers focus more on screwing up Microsoft based stuff than apple due to who has more market share.
    Fishymachine and Ray_Rogers2109 say thanks.
  17. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    What is different that makes the Mac version of photoshop better? im not sure i understand why or how this could be.
  18. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    You get Final Cut pro on a Mac which is good for video editing, also you can bootcamp and use windows 7 for gaming so its not that bad overall.

I dunno i mean unless you want a Mac badly or its sandybridge i5 i wouldn't bother with the decrease in speed.
  19. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    What many people fail to understand is that with an iMac, you get a professional-grade IPS display built in. Price one, and you'll see why the iMac is so expensive. It's definitely not a computer slapped onto a $100 Hanns-G monitor you buy at Newegg.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  20. Ray_Rogers2109

Ray_Rogers2109 New Member

Thanks Received:
    More people own Windows based computers compared to Mac shit. Why should hackers waste their time making viruses for something which has an extremely low userbase? Compared to the rest of the planet, the United States has more Mac users. I doubt anyone would see much Apple crap in other countries.

This is the only Apple company which I'll support.
    [​IMG]
  21. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Get a netbook to supplement your desktop.

Get a smaller case.

Both combined, you're still looking at substantially less money than a Mac and greater performance.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Nonsense. The only place they lag is graphics cards.
    Photoshop isn't any better on the Mac. The interface is just slightly different. It's purely a matter of preference.
    Because those would not be an all-in-one unit with an IPS screen like the current iMacs.
    Theya re not 2x the price if you buy the base model/ Compare a base model Mac Pro, iMac or Mini to OEM PCs with the same power, formfactor and features, and the prices are within a few $ of each other.

Spread the FUD elsewhere guys.
    Exactly. The IPS panel makes a huge difference. Go price a 27" 2560x1440 IPS screen, then come back and say a 27" iMac is overpriced.

@bettz - it's up to you. You'll have a much nicer screen and a smaller formfactor, but it will be slightly slower. It's more a crossgrade than anything.
    freaksavior says thanks.
  23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Where did you hear this garbage at?
  24. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, even me, the resident Mac defender, isn't sure where that one came from. lol.
  25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I mean really its the oldest stereotype in the book when it comes to Apples. Hell if you are still running CS4 on the PC its 100 time better. Why? Because they didn't offer a 64-bit version on the Mac platform! CS5 changed that however. Even still the CS5 suit is only partially 64-bit on the Mac AFAIK.

However I agree Mac towers ain't bad if all you do are OEM's. Good price for what you get. But if you can build your own rig then Macs are a waste of money and over priced.......but how many people can do this?