1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Selling i7 for a Mac i5 Speed Difference?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bettz, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I don't see a problem with it. I plan to buy one for the bedroom soon.
  2. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    And how much money did u waste on a laptop when you have a capable rig already? Shit why even bother asking for r advice
  3. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    You'd be suprised what can you stuff into ITX or micro ATX cases that look nice and are still very small. IF you want micro PC then throw an eye on Shuttle's...
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Not a laptop. Read again. Try the whole thread this time.

Not the same formfactor. He seemed to specifically want an all-in-one. That kinda counts out building your own.

And Shuttles compete with the Mac Mini. Shuttles also happen to cost more for the same performance in the same formfactor.
  5. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    O so its a desktop with a laptop card? that somehow is supposed to make it better?
  6. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    Actually its a 58xx card rebranded.
  7. bostonbuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    They should totally make All in one M-ITX cases, come w/ the monitor and psu installed, w/ amd apu's and sandybridge don't need to worry about space for cards, just enough room for the cpu cooler, some ram, and a 2.5in ssd. Just hook up a cd drive w/ e-sata to install windows and good to go.
  8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yes it is, if you want your entire computer to fit in your 27" IPS monitor.

Move along now. The anti-Apple crowd has no place here.
    random and Frick say thanks.
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I love you Wile E. <3
  10. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Nope, it's 6770M, a slight improvement over the 5770M. However, "Compared to desktop graphics cards, the HD 5770 is similar to the ATI Radeon HD 5570 graphics card." So the 6770M is around the performance of a desktop HD 5670.
  11. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    From where I come from the Dell Ultrasharp U2711 is the equivalent of 935$ and the same iMac that the OP ordered is the equivalent of 2725$. If we take the panel out of the iMac that leaves us with 1790$ to build a machine. For this kind of money you can set up a system that is waaay much better that what's in the iMac. Even with half the amount you can build a better machine that the iMac and still have the beautiful IPS monitor. I don't even want to think about the upgradability of a PC. I forgot to mention that the warranty for the iMac is one year and for extending it with a year there's an additional 160$. The only justifiable purchase of an iMac is for one to be totally addicted to the looks of the machine, doesn't like many cables under his desk and from time to time wants to move it around to other locations easily.
  12. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    I knew someone who used a Mac everyday and then one day, all of a sudden, out of the blue... WHAM! he turned gay!
    ShiBDiB says thanks.
  13. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    You cannot build your own computer into a monitor, unless you either want to void a $1000 monitor's warranty, or you want to attach the computer to the back of the monitor. Attaching to the back makes it hard to use things like optical drives. I know, I tried. It was a PITA.

The entire purpose of these all in ones is to take up ONLY the footprint of a monitor, while still being a full fledged computer.

This makes a difference to some of us. In my bedroom, I have no room for a larger desk, nowhere on that desk to put a tower (or even a mini), and nowhere on the floor to put a computer. All-in-ones are the only type of computer I can have there.

The ONLY thing you can compare these all-in-ones to fairly, is other all-in-ones. Comparisons to any other type of machine are completely irrelevant and invalid. The entire purpose of buying an all-in-one, is to have an all-in-one. People looking to buy these are very specifically looking to NOT buy a tower. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

You pay extra to use the smaller components. The same holds true for the other all-in-ones on the market. But the other all-in-ones on the market have much crappier screens. When other OEMs start putting good panels in their all-in-ones, I'll consider them.

So, again, move along anti-Mac people. Nothing to see here.
    Frick says thanks.
  14. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    You know what I find funny? A lot of computer manufacturers have started making iMac clones yet, as far as I can tell, all except the iMac don't sell that great. The all-in-one desktop computer model is one exclusive to Apple and, as always, it most likely has to do more with Apple branding than being something people actually seek out/desire. Sell the exact same thing, for the exact same price, with Windows on it and an HP or Dell sticker and I bet virtually no one would buy it.

It probably has a lot to do with the fact that most computer (Windows based) sales are $1000 or less where Apple has no computers except the Mac Mini for that price. Ultimately, most people (except Apple customers) would rather save $500+ than save a cubic foot or three of space. I believe most Apple customers justify that added expense because they believe they are making a fashion statement--the same reason some people justify buying a $1000+ Gucci bag over some $30 no-namer at Wal-Mart.

Nothing is stopping Apple from putting a TN panel in their iMacs and selling it for much less. Hell, if Steve Jobs weren't in charge, they probably would have done it long ago to steal some of Microsoft's market-share.

And by the way, they have the foot print of a 27" laptop, not a 27" monitor (they're quite a bit thicker than your average monitor). They are effectively laptops with no keyboard, track pad, and no closable lid.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Except they stand up. Laptops don't. The rest of the post I agree with.
  16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    No, they have the footprint of a 27" monitor. The only thing that touches the desk is the stand, and that stand is no bigger than the ones on the monitors. The only dimension they are significantly larger in is height when measured from the bottom of the bezel to the top of the bezel, and that is generally irrelevant, as the overall height, including the stand, is well within the standard adjustments of 27" monitors. So yes, the bezel height is larger, but the overall height is not.
  17. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    So this is a pro-Mac thread? I thought we were debating weather the peformance of the OPs PC which he plans to sell will be the same as the iMac in question.

But you are right you cannot compare Apples to oranges.
  18. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Because they don't have keyboards and mice...the reason why laptops go flat. The exception is laptops with touchscreens (HP and Lenovo for sure have a few of them). Touchscreen laptops can be oriented any way you please.

I'm looking at it from the perspective a VESA mount. a VESA mounted iMac would stick out farther from the wall than a VESA mounted monitor. Oh, thats right, Apple despises holes so it doesn't support VESA mounts without a $39 accessory. Stuff mounted to walls tend to use less desktop space than stuff sitting on a desk. :roll:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Not, not necessarily, but if people would pay closer attention, he expressed interest in the form factor. That kinda counts out building a tower. From what I gather, he essentially wanted to know if it would be horribly slower or just marginally slower, as he wanted to go all-in-one.

That's an even smaller fringe of the market. Granted, it's valid, but that doesn't qualify your original statement that it has a larger footprint, anymore than my statement disqualifies yours. It specifically depends on how you intend to mount it, I suppose. Either way, it's definitely not laugh worthy, so I have no idea where that came from.
  20. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:

Mac didn't have 64-bit photoshop because they refused to hand over early dev software to Adobe because they really can't be bothered :laugh:. They are abusive to resellers from what I have heard. Companies like HHGregg were given the runaround by Apple trying to control how they would sell Apple products and placement/display requirements in the stores so they just said, "screw it we won't sell anything Apple". I don't know if it has changed since then regarding HHGregg but that whole pretentious nose in the air bullshit is so 80's I am sick of it. Their Cinema display PSU's died in many batches and Apple offered no help when we had to go out and replace them for multiple displays over time at my workplace. Even some of the replacement PSU's started dying. Checked the power at the wall and our power was clean.

The moral of the story after buying Apple products for years is don't believe the implied quality of the Apple logo. If you buy a Mac do it for the OS and not the hardware.
  21. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I should have been in bed 6 hours ago, that's why it was funny (to me, in my exhausted brain). XD
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. Don't buy Microsoft Office for Mac from Apple too, since it's overpriced. :laugh: