1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Selling my truck for a 4 banger...thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Paulieg, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, after years of used vehicles, we were finally in the position 6 months ago to buy a new truck. So, I went out during end of year clearance last year and bought an 07 Nissan Frontier 4x4 crew cab. VERY nice truck..and fairly expensive. Now, with the price of gas and commuting 20 miles to my job, I'm strongly considering trading in my truck and buying a small car. HOWEVER, If I'm giving up my truck..I don't want to buy something lame. So I need some input on vehicles to consider. Here is my criteria: It must be 4 cylinder. It must be available in manual transmission. It must have a sporty feel to it, but still have enough room to comfortably fit 4 adults in it. Oh, and 18k is the most I'll spend. I am considering both new and 2-3 year old vehicles. Suggest away!

2. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    go for an older MX-5, or a rx-7. if you want a racing feel, however you could also try like a honda civic or something.

Paulieg says thanks.
  3. Snipermonkey2

Snipermonkey2

Thanks Received:
    RX-7s i make sway bar mounts for them at work. But you should get a Audi S4 or S6 Edit: they have 5 cylinders but its close to 4

Paulieg says thanks.
  4. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm . . . Chevy Cobalt 2LT - starts $17k

If you can find one a year or two old, you can nab a Chevy Cobalt SS with factory turbo and 5-speed for close to $18k.

I've worked on em, and coming from someone that hates small cars (even the mid 90s Cavaliers and Sunfires), the cobalts are nicely sized inside, quite a bit of room, surprisingly.

Or . . . if you can find a Pontiac Solstice that's a year or two old, they might be in the $18k range . . . and if you'd like later down the road, we can swap out the 4-banger for an LS6 :D

Paulieg says thanks.
  5. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi

Thanks Received:
    cobalt ss

Paulieg says thanks.
  6. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    I've looked at a couple of Cobalts. Nice looking, but I'm always leary of American 4 cylinder cars. I have looked Mazda 3's, Nissan Sentra SE Spec-R's, and the new VW Rabbit.

7. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Totota camrey 4 banger I have had one for 14 years and never changed anything but breaks, tires and belts.

Paulieg says thanks.
  8. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been working on them enough to say this:

if we were talking the GM 4-bangers up to the year 2000 - yeah, I'd defi mention to stay away. The 2.0s were decent, but not the greatest . . . the Quad 4 motors were powerful and solid - if you took vatican-style religous care of them.

The newer EcoTec, though, is quite solid. GM has most definitely learned from their mistakes with their early 4 cylinders. The Eco's are quite powerful as far as I4s go, and pull impressive fuel economy considering the weight of the cars, definitely in league with import fuel economy.

As to GM's 5 speed M/T (which, IIRC on the Cobalt is a Getrag), solid trannys. I've seen them take excessive punishment and not break a sweat.

But, final decision is definitely up to you. One recomendation for sure, though, if you get a newer car - maintain it as well as possible and it will serve you faithfully. If you ever have anu questions to maintenance, or even when things should ideally be done, don't hesitate to ask, man! :toast:

Paulieg says thanks.
  9. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    Thoughts on the other cars?

10. From_Nowhere New Member

Thanks Received:
    Never thought I would recommend a Kia to anyone, but times have changed... gas is some pricey ****. Check out the 2008 Kia Rio, seems to be a pretty good car for under $12,000 (I owned an older model of it, and it was reliable, got 35mpg, and seated 4 comfortably)

The only con that comes to my mind is that it looks generic.

Link:http://www.kia.com/rio/rio-specs.php

Paulieg says thanks.
  11. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi

Thanks Received:
    toyota matrix xrs?

Paulieg says thanks.
  12. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you mean other vehicle recommendations . . . or mechanical thoughts (reliability, repair cost, etc) on other cars?

13. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    The vehicles that I listed...What are your thoughts on those cars in terms of quality, reliability etc. Oh, and add two more..the Mitsubishi eclipse, and the Hyundai Tibouron.

14. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Volkswagons - stay away from them; great at first, but start getting very quirky later into life - tends to be around 50k miles or so. Repair costs are phenomenally stoopid as well (just replaced a set of plug wires on a 2000 Jetta v6 today, $600 shop-cost for the plug wires, and that was aftermarket. The dealer wanted $725 for the set :twitch:). Recommended to stay away from, as well as other common eurpoean imports like BMW, Volvo and Saab.

Mitsu Eclipse - really depends on the year we're looking at. The newer ones, though, are solid and reliable. A few suspension quirks here and there (driver's front strut tends to start leaking long before the others), but overall are nice. Defi an option to keep in mind. They don't suffer from the same amount of shop time as other Mitsus do (i.e. the Lancer).

Nissan Spec-Rs - another good alternative. The Spec-Vs tend to be a bit more reliable than the rest of the Sentra lineup - I think that has more to do with the build of the Spec motor than anything else. Only problem with the "sport" segment of a car series is the generally higher repair costs, as parts are more specialized and therefore a bit more expensive. But if one keeps up with maitenance and you don't do a lot of driving, it shouldn't be to much of an issue. Chain driven motor, not timing belt, which is a plus in the import world.

Mazda 3s - can't really say . . . around this region, though, Mazda's have a bad reputation for being bay hogs; they're in the shop a lot. I don't see too many of the newer Mazdas as compared to the older ones, but the company hasn't really changed any motor designs in years, either . . .

Hyundai Tiburon - another 'meh' from me. The Tiburon is the only Hyundai I really consider to be reliable at all (although newer Hyundias are definitely better than the older ones). The biggest issue I've had with Hyundai's is parts availability. Many times we're stuck waiting a few days for the dealerships to obtain parts needed for repairs. Otherwise, no big issues with these cars from me.

Other thoughts -

Honda/Acura - generally reliable, they have their quirks now and then. They don't break down too often at all, but when they do it can be expensive. Personally, I've always felt they're a bit over-hyped.

Toyota - probably the most reliable of the asian import lineup, but another brand that when it does break down, it breaks the wallet as well. Strong cars, though, they tend to outlast and keep going much longer than one would expect.

Ford and Dodge 4-bangers, it would probably be better to avoid them. Moderately dependable, and many parts (especially in Ford's case) are dealer only, meaning they're expensive. Much better can be had for the same money.

Paulieg says thanks.
  15. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Got a real good deal on an 04 Jetta locally, with 40K on the odometer!

Love the car. Sporty feel, good on gas, loads of features/airbags, and looks good IMO.

They again are expensive to fix, and make sure someone in town works on Germans/Imports!

Paulieg says thanks.
  16. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    If you get a german engine, a 5 or 6 cylinder is fine. They are VERY efficient. The 5 or 6 cylinder will give you more torque and a nice PS, with very similar mpg. Recommended "6" cylinders: Audi, Porsche, BMW

This is not the case of all 6 cylinders, esp. American 6 cylinder engines which DRINK. That includes Mercedes 6 cylinders which drink.

I'm in a simiar position to you. I've got a Mercedes 12 cylinder and I am just NOT driving that bi0tch at the moment. I cannot justify the cost given its SILLY mpg.

It's going to be sold, OR, I'll try and drop a 6 cylinder engine in to replace the 12. I'm going to lose a lot of performance... but I think those big street racecar days are over.

Paulieg says thanks.
  17. Snipermonkey2

Snipermonkey2

Thanks Received:
    My Mercedes straight 6 gets around 25-28mpg i would say that pretty when my Volvo 4 banger gets the same. If anything he should look for VW new TDI's over 60mpg or a Volvo 850 Turbo 5-speed which get on average 32mpg. The 5 cylinders from Audi are really preformance engines and get crap for mpg my brothers S4 gets about 22mpg tops and if he stomps on it then less that 18mpg.

18. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Forget the 4-banger. Get a 3.8 Liter V6, 6-Speed, four door Jeep Wrangler.
    Great gas mileage isn't everything you know :toast: :D

(Okay so maybe a couple of weeks of owning my new Jeep is leaving me biased a bit. Man, it's a fun ride!)

19. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    My '02 Ecotec Cavalier... Haha, I have given it hell and it feels brand new still.

Great handling, zippy, INCREDIBLE fuel economy if you know the rules about idling and A/C and whatnot.

Gogo Cobalt.

Also, look at Volkswagen diesels and some of the 2.0 4 bangers.

If you don't mind an '04 or something, look at the Oldsmobile Alero too.

First car I ever drove, put about 20k miles on it, to a total of 80k, and it never had a single issue, only comes in auto trans, but will blow away a manual trans V6 Mustang on the high end, tbh.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=BA_4C8Ps1uU

Gets up there pretty quick for a 2.2-2.4 cylinder.

20. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    VW Golf.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That is all.

OR

a Seat Leon
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  21. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agree'd my boy.

22. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    matrix is a gas pig 100%

mazda/nissan are great car's also honda civic/accord 4cyl

VW is overpriced IMO

@ imperial : cobalt SS is factory supercharged SRT-4 neon's are factory turbo ;)

personally i'd be looking nissan/mazda

:toast:

23. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Avoid Hyundai.

I know a guy who has one, it's just another mediocre rice burner, he gets owned by a Cobalt Type R from my work no matter what he does to it.

Shit, if you want a tuner, buy an Eagle Talon!

24. B1gg3stN00b

B1gg3stN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.chevrolet.com/aveo/

You can get an Aveo sedan, which is quite the roomy and reliable vehicle, with a LOT of options for 18k.

Maybe even some aftermarket work on it.

It's nothing fast, but with an extra 8k you could easily make it that way ;)

25. Wozzer

Thanks Received: