1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Serious problem with GTX780 Windforce 3x OC (Rev 2.0) Overclocking

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by djxinator, Nov 8, 2013.

1. djxinator

djxinator New Member

Thanks Received:
    Evening folks.

I'm having serious issues overclocking this card.

On Heaven 4.0 (1080p 8xAA Ultra, Extreme) it crashes with the slightest of overclocks. I can't even set the memory to 6200Mhz without it crashing the video driver for example.
    It was running Crysis 3 for an hour @ 1300Mhz Core and 6600Mhz memory with no issues, but Heaven...its a nogo at anything other than the out of the box OC.

I have no idea if I've fried the cards memory, I accidently pushed the card to 7000Mhz Mem while furmark was running (It popped up on the wrong screen) and it crashed instantly. After this I faffed about with it and attempted to run Heaven 4.0, and it was crashing straight away.

Now the core overclocks dont work either, I've managed to get it to 1201mhz MAX Boost with 1.187v running through it, and it passed a benchmark of Heaven fine, but anything over that is unstable and to be honest, Its crashed at that frequency before.

It seems odd that a 78% ASIC card that is supposed to have Samsung memory can't run at anymore than +90 Core and +0 Memory. The memory overclocking is baffling me - I originally thought it would be my PSU, seeing as my last card (7870) couldn't overclock at all either without dying, and since I had a power surge last year. Problem is, a 200Mhz memory increase can't attribute to much of an increase of power demand...

System specs are as follows.

Core i5 2500K @ 4.6Ghz
    8GB Corsair Vengeance LP White 1600Mhz 1.5v
    ASUS P8Z68-V-PRO Mobo
    GTX 780 Winforce 3x OC (rev 2.0)
    OCZ Vector 256GB
    1TB Storage Drive
    Antec CP-850 (850W Silver) PSU

2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Dont mess with the memory. It nots going to benefit all that much. concentrate on getting the core clock stable before memory.

3. djxinator

djxinator New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am aware of that, its just bugging me is all.

The fact that the core won't remain stable at anything over 954/1006/1097 is really, really bugging me, and I know shouldn't be happening. I haven't heard of ANY GTX780's that are unable to overclock, even the 60% ASIC ones are getting massive OC's.

4. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    ASIC doesnt mean much of anything. you just got a shitty overclocking card......

5. djxinator

djxinator New Member

Thanks Received:
    I find it hard to beleive after scouring every tech forum that only I have managed to grab a shitty card...out of everybody.

6. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    not really because people who OC are minority of the users.. a very very very small minority at that...

7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So, overclocking works just no in Heaven bench?

8. djxinator

djxinator New Member

Thanks Received:
    Furmark seems to be okay. Now I'm getting some random artifacts in Heaven even at stock.

Its been less than 7 days since I purchased the card so I'm RMA'ing it under the UKs Distance Selling laws.

Gonna grab an EVGA one.

9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    ...but you didn't before? It's either defective or damaged, so you answered your own problem by RMAing/returning it for a different one. I've always had excellent luck with MSI video cards fwif.

10. xorbe

Thanks Received:
    Random dud "SC" card. Yup RMA that thing.

11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    uninstall drivers, reboot system, install drivers, reboot again.

maybe you corrupted your drivers. maybe you got bad drivers that dont like heaven.

12. xorbe

Thanks Received:
    Also try powering down for 15 seconds, with PSU unplugged. Once my Titan "developed" artifacts even when underclocked (!), and a total power off restored everything (including my working overclock.) Freaked me out. This is an occasionally reported thing with nvidia cards for years.