1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

seriously, how do you solder on this stuff

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by psychomage343, Jul 2, 2005.

1. is there some secret to getting the wire to accually stick to the board, cause i can't get it, a serious, and seriously helpful answer would be nice please

2. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    heat and lots of it, let your iron get real hot first. then touch your wire to the place where you wanna solder it then apply the Iron to the wire. if you melt the solder then insert the wire you will end up with whats called a 'Cold Solder" which wont hold as well or conduct as well either

3. 65tweet

65tweet New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you heat up the component too much you will cook it and ruin it.

You need to use flux for electronics. It aids heat transfer and makes the job easy and a lot safer because you won’t have to heat everything up excessively to get the solder to melt. You also need to get a thin coat of solder on the tip of your iron, this is called tinning. I hope you aren’t using a gun. IMO they suck ass. Get one you use like a pencil and use the smallest tip that’s required for the job. Clean up the job with alcohol when you are done but don’t use the cheap rubbing kind that’s like 20% or more water.

4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Yes I forgot to include tinning. I mean I use Flux cored solder. When I said heat I didnt meant go insane but to let the Iron get good and hot before you use it not hold it there and wait for it to get hot enough to melt the solder