1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Server build, cpu advice needed

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by niko084, Oct 12, 2012.

1. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to be building a server to screw around with at home, I've quoted and built quite a few servers for others but my own I'm not certain and don't want to under buy.

What I'm looking to do is build a system to more or less play with Server 2008 and 2012, exchange, wds, d.c., maybe some web hosting

. Mainly to play around with and learn the new version (almost all my exp is with 2003). I wont need a ton of power because it's just not going to be actually utilized but I do expect my machines to be responsive. Also not building a server grade server, this is going to be a desktop machine more or less.

My basic plan, 8gb ram, h77 mobo, 1tb hd...

I'm a little torn between the i3-3220, i3-3225, i5-2500k, i5-3570k.

I know the i5's are going to be faster but I'm just uncertain if I need the power and would rather save the cash if it's not going to cause an issue. The machine maybe later torn down and turned into a lower powered desktop and I might throw a small graphics card in it to play a few games (for the gf), nothing that would require anything above an i3.

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Depends on what you want to use your server for. Friend's server runs on an old Athlon processor and it serves all the task he demands well (exchange, internet traffic, small web, etc.). I am not sure about game servers though.

Would consider getting one of the T processors, it should pay itself off in electricity bills.

3. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't but only due to it being microcenter pricing which just can't be beat... (They don't stock T chips)

I pretty much plan on working my way through everything it pretty much can do, no game server... This is for practice and play more so self education to get up to date a bit. My job doesn't give me much time to actually troubleshoot and configure servers anymore, just consult, quote, and build.