1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Set up File Server

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Charper2013, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Charper2013

Charper2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have my old 939 system and I wan tto set up a file server running off a WRT54G router... I have no clue how to do this...

2. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    You could install FreeNAS. It's pretty simple to get running and using. FreeNAS is basically an operating system whose sole purpose is to be a file server.

Or you could install a linux distro and use Samba. I like this option better because it offers lots of flexibility. You could start with a simple file server and upgrade to whatever you want in Linux. However, this method may be a bit more involved.

3. Charper2013

Charper2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there any way I can do it on XP?

4. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    i dont think so

5. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
    install windows, righclick no folders share folders. Bam done.

Though if you wanted more security you wouldneed XP Pro and turn off simple filesharing then you can assign permissions on a per folder basis and force loginbefore access tot he server is granted.

You can do the same with a linux distro too if you are familiar with linux.

6. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    Even if you arn't filmiliar with Linux, installing it is just as easy as Windows, and I'm sure you could find a tutorial on how to set up a file server.

7. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Im in the process of doing the same thing. I think im going to end up putting my S939 system back together and using it as a media server/backup server for the network. What I want to do though is use Windows built-in remote desktop. There is only one Vista machine in the house now but I dont think that would really be necessary for that computer as I dont think id need to connect to it. I just need it to talk with the server to backup data.

I have a conflict though. If I do this I would have to make the server wireless as I dont have space in my room to put it. Therefore, it would have to go downstairs in our laundry room on the old kitchen table down there.

Here's a couple vids.

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Use-an-Old-PC-as-a-Server-5027652
    http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Reuse-an-Old-PC-as-a-Server-Part-2-update-65116735
    http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Reusw-an-Old-PC-as-a-Server-Part-3-update-65134091

Edit: Added part 3.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It is very easy to do on Windows. You can do it as Tau has said. However, if you want to access the files over the internet, you can also setup an FTP server using Filezilla.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:

Yup Basically my exact setup at the couple of shops that i manage, as well as i have a similar setup ate home (though a bit mroe complex)