1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Setting up my home network

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by sakai4eva, Mar 6, 2013.

1. sakai4eva

Thanks Received:
    Hello people...

I'm now faced with a challenge of sorts...

Basically, my home has a pretty nice LAN infrastructure (which I intend to semi/fully utilize) from one single room to all others. Let's call this the server room. In a nutshell, the layout is kinda like this:

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/15Ok7MoTqF0vy28c7Ldk9yO-H_cPK6A_PE3kyaYLf4Uw/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the tricky part: my cable installer and my house-sitter messed up. They installed the cable in the right room, but not at where the cables were installed. Now unless I rip apart the cement wall (again!) and re-lay the cables, it is virtually impossible to place the modem at or even near the cables.

My question now would be: How in the world do I connect the network and wifi together to form a single cohesive network without running a CAT6 cable on the floor between my router and my modem?

My objective would be to have everything connected either by LAN or wifi.

Is there any way to do this? I'm posting from work so I can't really take pictures as to how messed up the layout is right now.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Ok well you need to word this differently. Your questions make no sense. If your cable drop is too far from your network cables then plug in your modem and run one cat6 to your router. The rest I don't know what your thinking
  3. sakai4eva

Thanks Received:
    I don't want to run a cat6 cable between the two because it's ugly and becomes a tripping hazard. Basically the cable drop is in one end of the room while the LAN cables are at the other end.

Also edited the OP. Not sure if it adds more clarity.
  4. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    You're going to cut all of your latency and bandwidth down if you don't hard-wire your modem into your router. Leave the modem where it is, and route a CAT6 through the wall to your "server room." Or you can have them move the jack.

Only other option would be something like a wireless bridge or a powerline bridge between the modem and the router, but again you'll be cutting yourself down quite a bit.
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    You have four choices

Run cat 6
    Run cable
    Move the drop ...not that hard
    Powerline adapter but get a gigabyte one $100. Not the best option though
  6. sakai4eva

Thanks Received:
    This will involve breaking apart the cement wall. Which is going to cost time and money unless I let it run along the floor which will end up in a tripping hazard...
    Same as above
    Do I ask the ISP to do that or just a wireman for help?
    That's new to me. Never heard of powerline adapters before. Why exactly aren't you endorsing this path?

Also, why shouldn't I use a wireless bridge? Is it about the latency and all that?

p/s: I'm using a 10mbps line at home.