1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Setting up RAID 0 --- without a floppy drive?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Black Panther, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting a laptop with 2 x 120GB HDD's to set them in raid 0 array.

I never had raid array on any pc before... so I googled for some instructions. All seem to say that a floppy disk and drive is indispensible?

Does that mean that one cannot set raid 0 without floppy? :ohwell:

Also (excuse my n00bness here), where I'm getting the laptop from lists these options:

No RAID +0,00EUR
    RAID 0 +0,00EUR
    RAID 1 +0,00EUR
    RAID 5 +0,00EUR

Which means I can choose the array. And I selected RAID 0.

Does that mean that the RAID setup will be ready up and running from the supplier and that I don't need to do anything? (I'm going to install the OS myself).

2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Slipstream the RAID AHCI drivers into your Windows Installation CD/DVDs using V-Lite (vista) or N-Lite (XP).

3. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    That means there is no chance that the supplier is going to make the Raid array himself, and that Raid can only be done after the Vista is installed?

(if so why does he put the raid choices in the purchase specifications?)

4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The idea that you require a floppydrive for these things is wrong. Just like any other storage device a RAID controller requires a driver. If this driver isn't included in the OS setup won't find a drive. XP is for some reason limited to finding this driver on a floppy.

Though like BTA said, you can slipstream it into your install CD. Make sure you install the textmode driver, and ONLY the right one, installing a wrong driver = crash.

As for running RAID 0 on a laptop, that's just pointless and dangerous. Laptop drives tend to be moved around a lot since they're in a laptop. Odds of them breaking are therefor increased. Add that to the fact that a single drive failure destroys data on both disks (or more if you have a bigger array) and you have a disaster waiting to happen. I can't image the gained performance is required on a mobile system.
    If data safety isn't your concern don't use RAID, if it is you can use RAID 1. RAID 5 is impossible with two drives.

5. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    No, if they list RAID levels with prices (although free) it means they'll configure it for you. If the machine comes with Windows installed they probably use their own CD with the driver or external floppy.

Black Panther says thanks.
  6. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the good advice - data safety isn't my concern. I was going to choose either one 250GB drive or 2 x 120GB in Raid 0 and opted for the latter for increased performance.
    The only 'data' I'll be keeping is that of games (which I can always reinstall if something goes wrong) and if I have a particular save I don't want to lose I'll back it up on USB drive. :)

I did ask the seller about whether I will have the Raid ready or have to do it myself, but he replied "Raid configurations is changable at every notebook start but afer a change you could loos the data on a raid stripe." I don't think he understood me since English is neither his nor my native language lol!:laugh:

But what Dan said here makes sense -

7. Grasshopper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Vista has drivers for most of the onboard RAID controlers and if hasn't you can use USB drive to load drivers.