1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

setting up raid

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by regan1985, Sep 3, 2006.

1. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    im looking into setting up a new hard drive setup, only problem is limited funds,i have never worked with anything other then ide but from what i have been told i shouldnt have a problem,

what i want to know is there much differance from a 10k setup to a 7200 setup plus would just one 10k sata be pritty much the same performance as 2 7200 setup as raid 0??

cheers:rolleyes:

2. Scotty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now, I am no expert on this subject.
    (I am even running games off an external 7200rpm usb drive, therefore bottle necking performance)

If you just do the simple math, 7200 + 7200 = 14400 you should get more data bandwidth.
    More hard drives - more data flow!

Probably best you dont listen to someone who runs stuff off an external usb drive though...

3. Gorre

Gorre New Member

Thanks Received:
    With RAID, you get more than one data-reading arm, so instead of having one set of data flowing in, it's (theoretically) doubled, tripled, quadrupled etc.

Also, software RAID (fakeraid) is scoffed at by most IT professionals, and hardware raid cards cost a fortune (do a froogle for "3ware").

4. Scotty New Member

Thanks Received:
    I appologise for my comment, I was thinking that RAID was something else, confused with another type. Ignore my previouse statement...

5. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeh what im looking for is results people may have seen, ie seek times ect with there 10k sata and 7200 setup in raid 0

6. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    a good set up from what i read is a single 10k raptor for the operating system and programes and a pair of cheaper 720s for the main storage assuming u need it..

it all seems to come down to what u use your computor for.. this is a good place for info.. lots of dudes into "storage"..

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200601/WD1500ADFD_1.html

trog

7. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeh i have loads of storage already i just want faster startup times and faster load times for games ect.and higher pc mark scores lol but i rekon raid is best for that

8. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    some of the guys on that site do seem to have other views.. an awfull lot to read but the impression i got was there aint much benefit in raid for desktop only if u shift lots of very large files about a lot.. hence the single fast rapor for windows/proggies/games and the slower 7200s in raid for bulk storeage being a favoured option..

trog

9. flipper812002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok this i know i have mine in a raid 0 config. @ times 160 gig seagates for a total of 360 gigs. I set it up in raid 0 and one choice is what stripe size you can normally do 16, 32, 64, 128 the bigger the stripe size the slower it will go i set mine at 16kb blocks. When i had one hard drive my load times were slower and performance was slower the difference is this. I installed a game on one 7200 rpm hard drive was a 7 disk game and took me like 45 minutes for full install and update. When i went to a raid 0 with 16kb blocks or stripes as some say that 45 minutes turned into 10 minutes for a full install i was amazed. I from this point on will never do anything but a raid 0 config. Just my thinking but it improved my times so much i cant complain.

10. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes.. cant help but feel something was wrong with that 45 minute time thow.. if raid really did make that much difference i cant see all the disputes going on.. u cant argue with 4.5 times quicker.. he he

trog

11. flipper812002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well when i studied the raid setup before i did it for larger files you use a larger block. for performance you use a smaller block. The 45 minutes did seem long to me also. I also burn legal back ups of movies i own and the times there improved alot also. I have only used a raid set up for about 2 months now so havent hit the down side yet. When i first built this computer i only had 1 hard drive and loaded everything on it. But after reading the motherboard manual i decided to try a raid, glad i did.