1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sexy Mechanical Keyboard Thread

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by ALMOSTunseen, Aug 6, 2013.

1. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    If you dont bottom out i guess it doesnt matter. then again I think the noise itself is exacerbated by the fact that the keys are tapping on the aluminium base of my K70 when i bottom out. I dont think it would be as loud for a keyboard thats mainly made out of plastics.

People will bottom out because theyre just used to that way of typing or they have extreme cases of OCD. Everyone types differently. I guess my typing is can be construed as 'heavy typing'????
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  2. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. They are sort of "training wheels," if you will. The travel is reduced slightly, but I would say 1.5mm at most.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  3. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Well ive read a lot about people installing these rings on their keyboards to great effect. I wouldnt go as fair as calling them 'training wheels' that would mean something entirely different.

blindfolding someone and teaching them to type just by feeling and instinct - now that would be a 'training wheel'. It doesnt matter if youre new to mechanical keyboards or not, if you hate how loud they can be then theres a solution for it.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  4. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    That's what I mean, depending on the switch used, the only sound coming from a mechanical KB is from bottoming out. Solution? Stop bottoming out.
  5. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Well i dunno what mechanical keyboard you type on that lets you type in complete silence

but even with these rubber rings you can still hear the sound of the spring, the action of the keys & your fingers when they move across the keyboard. You will never be completely rid of the sound of typing, I think even dome keyboards make a noise and so do scissor switches you get on a laptop to a certain extent but you can type pretty quietly on those.

MX Blue switches?
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  6. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Another way to look at it...

Think of the rubber rings as a suppressor on a gun, It will silence the sound of the shot but won't silence the mechanics/cycling of the gun. Every time you pull that trigger the cycling of the gun can be heard, shell ejection loading another round in the chamber etc etc.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  7. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Of course, no keyboard is completely silent, aside from those stupid laser keyboards(even then, the sound of your fingers on whatever surface you're using is there). I think you're taking me too literally, so let me be as clear as possible: the only sound a mechanical keyboard makes that is not present on other keyboards, including membrane, is that of the switch assembly(depending on type), and the key bottoming out. The keys on non-mechanical keyboards still move slightly when your fingers move across them, there is still the sound of key travel, the supporting structure of the key(membrane, scissor, or spring) is going to make a sound, but far and away the loudest sound I deal with when typing on mechanicals is that of bottoming out. It bugged my dad and him constantly bottoming out(and hard, at that) bugged me, hence the O-rings. The damn thing probably won't last much longer. He's had it for just under a year and it's already acting up. He is hell on keyboards.
    MX Reds, by the way, but I prefer Browns and Clears for MX switches, and my absolute favorites are the old ALPS switches.

Now please, let's get back to the pics. I don't feel like arguing over a stupid misunderstanding.
    Now that is a good analogy. I couldn't come up with one better than the training wheels, lol.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  8. sakai4eva

Thanks Received:
    Oh boy... Can I join?

KBT Oni (MX Browns) and Filco Majestouch (MX Blues) here. Pictures to follow when I get home to my rig. :D
  9. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

There ya go bro! ;)

@sakai4eva sure you can join, but stop teasing with the I don't have images...:roll:
    Random Murderer says thanks.
  10. sakai4eva

Thanks Received:
    I'll post some imgur remnants then. Warning, massive imgur photos taken with a potato with potato farmer's shaky hands:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Compgeke

Compgeke

Thanks Received:
    I don't know that I ever posted my slightly modified Desko. Bit of an interesting board as it has a magswipe reader, for the opposite sides of cards (if I could figure out how to make the damn feature work), integrated mouse and the ability to work over PS/2 or serial via SITA. Bit uncommon as I have mine with the box, first person to ever use it whereas you really can't buy one as a one-off, I got it through a trade.

[​IMG]

Has MX Black switches.
    [​IMG]
  12. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Heres my Filco Majestouch II Ninja TKL (brown cherrymx) with red WASD keycaps, corsair mm600 mousepad, microsoft mouse
    Solaris17 and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  13. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    does anyone know any good distributors for custom caps for MX switches? I found a few but they werent that great usually with only a selection of like 5
  14. sakai4eva

Thanks Received:
    What exactly are you looking for?

Whole sets or just a few keys?

I suggest that you look through signature plastics as a starting point.

p/s; I'm an avid MKBer (is that a thing?) so you can ask me anything about MKBs.
  15. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I go to WASD Keyboards for a lot of gear for mechs, and they have a ton of custom caps.
    http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/
    xvi says thanks.
  16. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    looking for a white mechanical keyboard..... any good suggestions?
  17. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I know Rosewill and Thermaltake made some, may be out of stock at this point though. My favorite white mech has to be the Matias Tactile Pro 3, but you will have to spend near $200 to get that board.
    ensabrenoir says thanks.
  18. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I modded my Qpad MK-50 for the looks and because I want to encourage typing blindly. The grey is a medium grey that seems a bit lighter on the pics because the pics are only quick shots with bad lighting and a phone cam.

IMG_20140528_155247.jpg
    IMG_20140528_155314.jpg
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    While I deal with another K70 RMA courtesy of Corsair whose Rep on here wont even reply to me anymore when i messaged him two weeks ago about the replacement K70 I got back a few months ago having the same dead/dying LED problem as the first one i sent back...

Ladies and gents, may I present my new Ducky Shine III - Also with my recently purchased Logitech G502 which i am quite enjoying though it feels like theres hardly any difference between the G500 and 502 apart from a few buttons missing/moved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Ducky is a lot pricier than the K70 but the build quality is solid. I was expecting some cheap POS resembling an 80's keyboard but it feels like theres a sheet of steel hidden inside to give it a good weight and strength and even though the outside & base of the keyboard is obviously made of plastic, It feels really good.

Its a good keyboard but just doesnt look as classy as Corsair's sheet of aluminium.

now to head to the other forums & retailers to spread some hate about Corsair peripherals....
  20. tom_mili

Thanks Received:
    I have been pretty curious about these mech keyboards since I first built my PC but back then I had no money left since all of them went into the PC to get all the horsepower...
    I just bought this little Leopold FC700R TKL with yellow keycaps and my first impression was it wasn't yellow at all... It is more like orange if I compare it with my "yellow" Lumia 520 and it weights much more than my cheapo Logitech K100 which was full layout keyboard :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, that is my cat sleeping on top of the case :rolleyes:
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  21. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a ragdoll cat. I love ragdolls!
  22. tom_mili

Thanks Received:
    I think she is a calico and she likes being there if the room gets hotter.. I also have a ragdoll cat but she is even lazier and won't even climb up to the desk :laugh:
  23. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Completely forgot this thread existed. I may post up some pics of my new KB:toast:
  24. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    well.....?

[​IMG]
  25. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Well what? You want me to take a picture of my keyboard at home while at work?
    sneekypeet says thanks.