1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sh*tting Bricks...

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by adilking, May 19, 2009.

1. adilking New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well,

Firstly - Im a 16 year old kid and i have just spend 1 year working my b*ll*cks off to make my own hard earned cash as reffered to by my Mother and Father.

So, Heres the cash.

£430

So i worked my b*lls off and i earnt the cash..

I was looking forward to the build all along - Now it comes to it..

Im absolutely Sh*ttin' Bricks!

Unlike many other teenagers who have:

1. Money Problem
    2. Parent Problem
    3. *Place other problems here*

I dont have any of that - I earnt my cash - My Parents said go ahead

But i have no confidence at all!

From the experiences of my life...

I spend money - Something breaks - I spend more money - Fix it - Something else breaks - I spend more money - Something else breaks - I give up because i suck at life

I dont want to spend £430 and then end up with a fried motherboard, exploded hard drive, burnt out CPU and whatnot!

Knowing my luck..

Ill be putting the PC Together - Last screw. As i put the last screw in a small spark occurs and this lands right on the motherboard, The motherboard bursts into flames and the flames touch the hard drive, The hard drive explodes and causes the CPU to turn into a raging fire ball - And the PC just... BURNS A BIG HOLE IN MY HEART! (And dignity)

I know this isnt a place for stupid teenagers to post there problems and im greatly sorry.
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
  2. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Thats part of learning/experience....all of us have messed up many times (and done some really cool things too)

lighten up, enjoy life.:rockout:
  3. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Don't stress buddy. If you're nervous, we can answer any questions you have. There are lots of very knowledgeable and experienced people here on TPU that can help you out.

I felt the same way when I first watercooled, but I had TPU to back me up and it worked out greatly!
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Plus, if you buy the parts new, and something screws up, you can always RMA for a new one. With only a minor cost of shipping.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I built my first rig a few years ago with no help. I was 15 or 14, it's not that hard. In fact, I'm 17 now and build people computers for extra cash. It's addicting :D
  6. kyle2020 Guest

Mate, take it easy, I was in exactly the same position as you roughly 2 years ago. As long as you take your time, you'll be fine!

Read this (written by myself) http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=58149

And just think, and I quote "building a PC is like Lego. Everything just drops in to place". Someone said that a few days ago and it made me smile because of how true it is :)

As long as you research your parts thoroughly, take your time whilst building and dont panic you'll be fine. Im proud of another person like me, I had to save each penny of my rig, and the one you can see in my specs are completely funded by my job, no handouts, nothing.

And, of course, if you get stuck, just ask anyone of us on here! We are here to help! :toast:
  7. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    I like the name.. lol

But yeah I had my buddy build my first computer, but after that I realized it isn't to hard and built my own. Then the fun overclocking part came into play
  8. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    The 2 major things you could foul up:

1.Static Electricity. Don't build on carpet if you can absolutely avoid it. Touch something metal (in your case or something else) before handling parts.

2. Mobo shorting. Make sure that you're screwing the mobo into spacers, not straight into the mobo tray. Zap zap boom if you turn it on with that happening.:p

As long as you do your homework, the rest should be simple and straightforward.
  9. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Well funny story with shorting a motherboard..

I have this old K7 setup and I got cement floors in my basement, so I but it up on a METAL CD drive. While I in windows I swiched USB slots for my mouse wasn't really look but when I unpluged it and put it another it was sparking like mad and some how it managed to live. Just reset the motherboard. If that makes you feel any better
  10. Duxx Guest

You would be surprised at how easy everything goes together. A simple manual and patience goes a looonnngggg way in completing your first build. Be sure you have enough time and don't rush anything. Most importantly don't get frustrated if something isn't cooperating. Just grab a snack, watch a TV show, then come back to it later or something. You'll end up breaking shit if you get angry with a push pin not going in. :D
  11. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    adilking, I see you listed a budget. Are you looking for build advice?
  12. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I remember working my a$$ off for a full year just to buy this when i got to my 17th birthday:

[​IMG]

That was in 1985 btw. haaa! the memories.

Now i use this to go to work (cheaper than using my car)

[​IMG]
  13. Conflict0s

Conflict0s New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it is safe to say everyone who builds there first pc is always nervous. But that is expected, just try and get yourself familiar with what is what and how things connect to each other. It is amazing how many technically talented people there are on this forum. I built my first pc two years ago when i was 15 and I knew a little about pc's then. But it is amazing how much i have learnt from just talking to the guys on here.

And Polarman they are some nice wheels :D
    Polarman says thanks.
  14. kyle2020 Guest

Heres a cheap, but highly capable gaming system:

[​IMG]

But obviously without you saying what you need the rig for, we cant really recommend many things.
  15. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    The money i save on gas goes to my PC. :D
  16. Hysteria

Thanks Received:
    I think the OP has summed up pretty much what real life is like for everyone.

It doesn't matter whether it's a PC, car, bike, house. Something gets built/made, then it breaks, costs to fix it, then something else goes wrong with it & means more repairs/costs.

Pretty much sums up living.

Go ahead, buy the gear & ask questions. I wish there'd been somewhere like TPU around when I 1st built a pc..... mumble grumbe (old fart) etc.
  17. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    As what a familiar person on TPU would say, "go out, party" (guaranteed 'bang' for the buck). There isn't much to your problem otherwise, really :)

Just make sure you buy from a retailer that has a good reputation in dealing with RMA/warranties.
  18. adilking New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the advice and the encouragement.. I understand that theres tons of people here to help me along the way..

But heres the scenario that i have experience many a' time -

I spend all the money i worked hard for on something i really want
    People help me
    I build it
    It breaks
    Fix it
    Breaks again
    I give up because its costing me too much

What i should really ask is- Computers that you buy pre-built dont ever really break - Although i understand they are a rip off.

Do Custom Built PC's break often..? Due to the fact that they are Custom Built?
  19. kyle2020 Guest

Right, when you buy pre built, yes you pay a lot more for less performance, however the majority of the time they are backed up via warranty. Thats all fine and dandy for your everyday, internet surfing family.

However, if you become an enthusiast, you buy each part individually. Now if something breaks, you go through a process known as RMA. You contact the etailer that sold you the part, explain that its broken, you send it back to them, they check it to see if it was broken naturally or if it was damaged purposely by yourself. If it broke normally, they will send you back a replacement, no questions asked. If, however, you broke it yourself and tried to be sneaky, they will most likely just send you the broken part back.

At the end of the day you just need confidence in your self to say "yes, I can do this, if I take my time ill be fine" because thats all you need to do - take your time. :)
  20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    prebuilt machines break all the time. you jsut get a brand new one when you take it back.

Custom ones built properly dont fail. and dont forget - if you buy the right brands, you get a longer warranty on the parts than on the entire prebuilt PC

(my PSU has a 5 year warranty, for example)
  21. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had the same problem with cars my whole life. I don't think a car has lasted me more than two years before going to complete shit. Computers, however, are a lot easier and I have been building them for several years before I could even get a license. Just stay away from cutting edge stuff, insane overclocking, and water cooling, you'll be just fine. Oh, and listen to what the pros say about system building. The major reason for 'DOA' (dead-on-arrival) items is people killing the chips with static shock or just all around mistreatment.
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  22. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    If anything pre-built rigs break more because the shops put so much pressure on the manufacturers to drive costs down. So you end up with a pre-built rig with inadequate cooling or a generic inadequate power supply or a motherboard lacks upgradability etc.

Quick example, friend bought a £1,000 Pentium 4 rig about 6 years ago, the case had no cooling fans what-so ever. The computer came with one of the slowest Direct X 9.0 graphics cards at the time (Nvidia FX 5200) does this sound like good value or good build quality after spending a grand?

Well as I already said above the quality is higher due to a selection of premium brands e.g. ASUS, Gigabyte, Biostar, Artic cooling etc opposed to generic brands in prebuilt.

The methods are the same when building a computer whether you do it yourself or whether the shop or mass manufacturer does it. The only difference is you do not have to worry about voiding the stores warranty if you open up the case for upgrades and that is if the store honours their warranty anyways. I can remember first pre-built computer over a decade ago PC World barely acknowledged the warranty despite paying £250 extra for the warranty and to add insult to injury they had a premium rate phone line at £2 a minute.

I've been building computers for years now and the quality of service is better, each component has its own warranty, usually 2-5 years or a life-time upon purchase at no extra fee. I'll give you an example, my Inno 3D Nvidia 9600 GT graphics card broke down after a year of usage I contacted ebuyer.co.uk the component retailer and they started the RMA graphics card immediately, picked it up from my house on a day of my choosing (free of charge). Bare in mind the graphics card was overclocked and modded with a different heat sink and it was a year after purchase. To make a long story short they gave me a cheaper and faster graphics card of my choice (XFX ATI 4830) and gave the change in store credit - I could of opted for a full financial refund.
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  23. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    read the manual, take your time, takes a deep breath and youll be fine, compuer parts are tougher than youd exspect. there not like frail crackers
  24. Blacksniper87 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like a good outfit who understands that it is important to treat customers with respect
  25. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep. I'm 15 yet I've learned about every part of a computer and how to replace it. Or simply build a whole new computer.