1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Shader Model 3.0 help?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by demonbrawn, Jul 10, 2006.

1. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I've been trying to google SM3.0, but I just can't seem to find that much specifically about it. Someone told me I needed SM3.0 a couple days ago, but I can't figure out exactly what it is, if it's even offered on ATI cards, or where to download it (if it can be downloaded individually since I'm not sure if it's part of a specific package or not). I would appreciate your knowledgeable input.

2. celidee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its basically an extra feature for certain Video Cards that allows more graphical detail(I think with certain shawdows or something like that) , mines doesn't have it, but I don't find all too necessary right now....for me that is.

And yes it offered in ATI cards but the high end ones.

3. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    SM3 is just a few details here and there, you really won't miss them on a SM2 computer. There is no FPS increase and no way to upgrade...it's a hardware thing. ATI cards with SM3 are the X1K series and up, and Nvidia cards with SM3 are the Geforce 6 series and up.

4. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    ohhh okay. Someone just said "I see you have SM2.0. You need SM3.0" blah blah. I didn't really know what they were talking about. I see, they saw my X850 in my specs and realized I didn't have it. Alright, thanks.

5. giorgos th.

giorgos th. New Member

Thanks Received:
    no big deal.your card`s SM2.0b is very very close to SM3.0.you wont notice the slightest difference.

6. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Well there are some 3Dmark05 screenshots that will beg to differ...but other then that nothing major lol. It just looks a tiny bit prettier.

7. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    HDR is SM3.0. it makes brights look brighter. identical cards (lets say same 3d05 score for example) one with sm3.0, one with sm2.0, same game, the fps with sm2.0 will be higher. sm3.0 is more of more complex calculations. also sometimes affects transparency of water and stained glass style windows. it's not a major upgrade.

for 3d06 tho, it really hurts your score not to have sm3.0.

8. Aegis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heard the opposite's true. SM3.0 optimizes some of the features of SM2.0, so they run quicker aka more FPS. However, the added features (HDR) does tend to drop the framerates back down.

9. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Dude...you have the same SN as my main computer...cool!

10. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    that's more or less what i was saying, sorry for not being clearer! what i was trying to say was that an sm3.0 capable card will run faster when using sm2.0 in a certain graphics engine than if it was utilizing the full sm3.0 capabilities of the engine.

i'm rereading my post, and it's not well worded, even so much as it is probably always going to be interpreted "incorrectly", ie i'm stupid.

thanks for clarification aegis!

11. giorgos th.

giorgos th. New Member

Thanks Received:
    i`ve seen this mostly in Nvidia cards.especially in 06.in 90% of the tests they have worst SM3.0 score than SM2.0.
    Ati seems ok.

12. rpgbefore... New Member

Thanks Received:
    no, sm3 puts more load onto the gpu as there needs to be more graphics rendered per frame and thus lowers fps