• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

sharing a printer through wifi connection

fafa21

Processor Intel core 2quad q9650 @3.6 ghz
Motherboard asus x38 p5e
Cooling 7 fans
Memory 6gb 1X1 gb ozc and 2X2 gb gskills 1066mhz
Video Card(s) powercolor hd 6870 1gb 256-bit GDDR5
Storage 1t seagate barracuda and one 300 gb velociraptor and 250 GB wd caviar for backups
Display(s) ultrasharp dell 22 inchs
Case antec 900
Audio Device(s) x-plosion 7.1 cinema.
Power Supply extreme rosewill 750 watts
Software triple boot windows xp pro 32bit and vista home premium 64bit and windows 7 premuim
Benchmark Scores 4330 in 3dmark 11
I'm trying to share a printer (canon mp730) through a wifi network. My computer (windows vista) is connected to the printer directly. The other computer is windows xp.

When I'm working on the xp machine and press "print", it opens a dialog box and form there I select "find printer". When I click on that, it shows me the printer connected to the Vista machine select print, I get a warning message saying "you are about to install a printer driver on your machine...blah blah". I click "yes" on that and then get a message saying that the server for the printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. What to do? It seems like I've got the latest driver for the mp730 installed on both machines.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Is it Vista 64? If so:

You probably only have the x64 driver install, and Windows XP needs an X86 driver installed on the printer server. Download the driver off Canon's site for Vista 32-bit(x86). Extract the exe to a folder.

On the Vista machine, open up "Printers" from "Control Panel". Right Click on the printer you are sharing and go to "Sharing...". In the properties window that opens up, there should be an option "Additional Drivers...". Click on that, it should come up and tell you what drivers are installed for the computer. It will probably only have a check mark next to the x64 driver. Put a check next to x86 and then press OK. It will walk you through installing the x86 driver on the printer server. You just point it to the folder that contains the inf driver file and it will install the x86 driver.

You should then be able to go to the Windows XP machine, and print.

Also, if you are going to be printing a lot from the XP machine, you might want to permanantly connect to the printer, so you don't have to find the printer everytime you want to print.

And I have found that setting up networked printers in Vista is the biggest pain the in ass, especially if you have a mix of XP, Vista 32-bit, and Vista 64-bit.

Last edited: