1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Shell Shockers Getting Weak?

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by TIGR, Jul 1, 2010.

1. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    There have been plenty of good Newegg Shell Shockers lately, no doubt about it. But it seems to me that "Shell Shocker" doesn't mean what it once did. The current Shell Shocker is for "20% off" the WD1001FALS. Look at the price history and you'll see that the last price for it was actually only 10% more. Of course, it's common for retailers to list dubious "original prices" for sale items (e.g., a CPU that cost $300 new and which, two years later costs $100 from the same retailer, could be listed as "$200 off"). But even with that aside, I seem to remember a time when "Shell Shocker" meant a little bit more.

I like Newegg and find their prices to be overall top notch. That's not in question. All I'm asking is, wasn't there a time (back when Shell Shockers were one-per-day) when you could expect a little more from Shell Shockers, even if it was an item you weren't interested in?
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it seems you're suffering from shell* shock.

you're gunna need to get off the front lines and lead a civilian life with retail prices before the internetz is safe for you again.

*shell shock can also occur when someone fires the blue shell at you in mario kart wii right before you win.

(moved this to hot deals, it belongs there more)
    TheLaughingMan and TIGR say thanks.
  3. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:

Wasn't sure, thanks!
  4. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    They had the PC-K62 Lancool case for a great deal last week sometime.
  5. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    They had 40% off an OCZ SSD yesterday, that's like 20% off a good retail price.

Most of the Shockers arn't that great but once and a while they sneak a good one in there.
  6. Water Drop New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think Newegg's prices in general are getting weak. Years ago they were always the cheapest around no matter what. I would look everywhere, and then wonder why I bothered, but today I rarely see Newegg have the best deal on something. With some things they are priced higher then Amazon. And on a few rare occasions I've seen them priced higher then Best Buy.
    ron732 and Phxprovost say thanks.
  7. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree with this, Newegg used to be my one stop shop for pretty much anything tech related, but lately Ive had to look around to try to get the best deal on what I need, though I have to say due to my rma history with newegg Im still inclined to spend the few extra dollars knowing that if something is fubar Ill get my replacement in a timely manner :toast:
  8. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, it is the summer season and the Shell Shockers just don't cater to us right now. This is the season when people by a lot of houshold appliances, TV's, and other stuff so the Shell Shockers have been geared more toward them. This is why blenders, ice cream makers, and battery recharge stations have been on the fore front of the deals as of late.

While they are good deals, they are just not the stuff most of use hear are looking to buy. Give it time. When August roles around and the shift goes back to students going to school and college you will get a lot of deals on pre-builts, laptops, DIY kits, and "all-in-one" gadgets. Then after that, between Christmas and school starting is when we get what we want. The computer upgrades and hopefully some nice deals on RAM and Blu-Ray internal drives and SSD's.

Trust me young Jedi, your day will come.
    bpgt64, ShiBDiB and dank1983man420 say thanks.
  9. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    TheLaughingMan says thanks.
  10. ron732

ron732

Thanks Received:
    First off I want to say hi to everyone. I have been a long time lurker and finally decided to join the great community at TPU.

I agree with everyone that the only shocking thing about NewEgg's Shell Shockers is how weak they have become. Getting stuff from NewEgg used to be a no brainer for me but now I find myself shopping around and sometimes finding better prices elsewhere. Still the selection and service is always top notch at NewEgg.
  11. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    I would also add, Newegg.com is also diversifying what they sell greatly in order to expand there market appeal.
  12. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    I don't think so at all

Like everything some things are just awful but every now and then the deals are so good it really is shellshocking. I don't expect every sale to be a great one. I would be bankrupt if they were all good deals.

;)