1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Shin Etsu for Nvidia Repaste

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Vario, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    What type of Shin Etsu paste should I use for repasting my GTX 770? I was using Noctua NT-H1 with a thin amount, it worked fine until I bumped the card today while I was rewiring some of the fans. I noticed the temperature greatly rose to where it was performing slightly worse than stock. It wasn't a major problem but I decided I had to repaste it again. Upon removal, I noticed the NT-H1 was still wet even though I applied a week ago. Also it was a very thin amount, it didn't look like enough, even though I was certain to cover the entire die with a thin spread. By this, I mean it looked too viscous. I have gotten better results in the past using a spread rather than the small dot method (that I use for CPUs).

This time I used an unspread glob, hoping to replicate the factory's install. The result was actually better. Idle is now 28*C (stock was 34*C, first repaste was 29*C, after bumping was 31*C) Load temperatures hit only 73*C in 3Dmark11 @ default boost clock of 1254.

I heard that Shin Etsu is the Nvidia reference card's paste. I have seen Shin Etsu G751, X23-7762, and X23-7783D sold in online stores.

This card was a PNY non-reference so the paste was probably a generic.

Which is best for a graphic's card die? Are these non-conductive? What type does Nvidia use?

http://skinneelabs.com/shin-etsu-g751-x23-7762-and-x23-7783d-review/3/

In the above review, G751 looks the closest to every video card I have dissected. It also scores terribly. In other reviews, G751 scores well compared to competition.

Is there something better to use than Shin Etsu for GPUs?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  2. tom_mili

Thanks Received:
    I believe X23-7783D is the highest performing of all and have used a tube back when I liked to tinker with my gaming laptop.
    I got about 2-3 C cooler than the stock paste from MSI but it was really hard to apply and I had to warm it to make it soft.
    And yes it is non-conductive but I have no idea what NV use for their cards and it really looks like what I used from the light grey colour.

3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Arctic Cooling MX-4

Solaris17 says thanks.
  4. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Does MX-4 have less "pump-out" issues than this NT-H1? I am getting good temps with NT-H1 but I am concerned that the slightest shift in the card will unseat the paste. Thats why I figured using a paste similar to the factory paste would be ideal.

There are only 4 screws holding the fan, and the fan's 4 threaded retention posts don't fit into the corresponding holes on the circuit board, it sits above it, so there's a bit of float in its design.

5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    mx 4 is good
    but you need to leave it alittle since thermal paste need time before it reachs its optimal heat transfer
    check your pressure too, how tight your hsf and if you tight it, do it cross from upper right to lower left

6. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Yes its tight but not over tight. I have done many GPUs, this one has one of the worst retention schemes.

7. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Which 770 is it?

EDIT: Oh PNY? Wierd, a small bump to the gpu shouldnt move the heat sink if its properly mounted.

8. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    As I said, its impossible to properly mount, the standoffs for the heatsink don't actually go through the holes in the pcb, they sort of rest on the edge of the hole. Therefore when you screw it in, it can wobble.