1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Shipping, anti static

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zithe, Dec 17, 2009.

1. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    What is a good replacement for an antistatic bag when one isn't available and you can't buy one when shipping? The ones available are too small.

2. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Anti-static plastic carriers etc. I have seen 8 different items show up broken thanks to ESD and an ignorant seller in almost every case. I trade all the time though. ESD has a higher chance of killing a part(when not using anti-static gear) than a shipping service from roughness. I have seen it first hand. :(

3. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Thankfully I found an antistatic bag large enough. I had to empty my closet. Ended in a years worth of shipping boxes filled with peanuts spilling all over the room, but it'll get there safely! lol.

4. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    You are a good trader for using an anti-static bag. ;)

zithe says thanks.
  5. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    I hope so, lol. It's disconcerting to hear otherwise.

6. timta2

Thanks Received:
    I would like to say that I can't believe people would ship sensitive equipment without protection, but I have seen to many craigslist photos where people put motherboards, etc on the carpet to take photos.

7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just for imformation purposes, mostr local PC shops will be willing to give you MANY bags, if you call ahead and ask first. I usually ask if they sell em, and I get the "come on down and take what you need".

8. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    what about video cards, i usually ship them in the same plastic case that i bough them in, and they are not in anti static bags... littereally i ship them in the same boxes that they came packed in originally?

9. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Those are fine as well, same with the little cases for CPU's.

10. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is the exact reason I keep all my original boxes, and for warranties too. I'd feel horrible if I sent someone a dud part all because of a simple bag.

11. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    I'm lucky, where I work I have access to all sizes of static bags... some you could fit a server into. I think we might even have some stupidly big sizes. But for the hell of it, what if you couldn't get a hold of one at all. I'd take some aluminum foil, make a square big enough to completely wrap what you're sending, then use tape (ductor masking the best) and cover both sides of the square. You want leave the edges bare so when you cover the object you can make sure the aluminum makes contact with itself completely around the box. I know if someone ever got something like that in the mail they'd be like wtf?? But it'd work.

12. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

Well I must admit, I have sent the odd gpu or hdd in a bubble wrap bag, though touchwood I have had no complains or components doa, and yes I have put components on a carpet lol, truth be told I have never had a part die because of esd, its still one of those myths, some swear by it and others dont, I think if you are careful when installing and dont handle a component like a 4 year old and its toy then you should be pretty safe.

13. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    yeah i agree. you have to take precautions but i've so far not had anything die from ESD as well. i've read somewhere that ESD doesn't frazzle the component as people think; it's more a long-term damage.