1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

shipping

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by newguy24, Nov 29, 2010.

1. newguy24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys idk if this is the right area, if not sorry don’t know where ells to put it.
    Going to be a weird question but figure you guys may do allot of this

I need to ship a computer, monitor, speakers, desktop unit, keyboard....safe & securely, insurance and tracking.

What is the avg price to ship? Don’t want to payout too much. I say 45$

Coming from
    US, MI, Saginaw 48638 ----- TO ---- US, MD , Mitchellville 20721

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it will cost you near $45 to send a large case empty. Depending on the box size and total weight, I would guess you are a bit under reality even with say USPS.

3. Tyrael

Thanks Received:
    Its normally around £200 - £300 ++ with UPS + weight + insurance + security and all the other snappish! However, this will only effect if you are from abroad...

ie: UK >> ordering from outside...

4. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    It all boils down to weight and box sizes. I would say around 50 to 60 to safely ship it (shipping + insurance) would be a good ball park. USPS might be a slight less, but when you bring them bigger boxes the costs shoot up pretty quick. Pack the hell out of it. ;)

5. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Or see if you get a discount at FedEx or UPS through your work :laugh: Shipping is expensive. I just recently found a new way to ship cheaper myself (family member employee discount)- the days of overpaying USPS are almost over!

^BLK, haven't seen you around lately. How are things?

Arrakis+9 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Go to www.usps.com and select Calculate Postage, then Domestic Shipping. There you can enter weight, size, and zip codes. I'm gonna guess $65 for all that junk.

7. newguy24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    so looking about 65$$ not good lmao, after getting all package stuff im at 85$

8. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    Go to a computer shop and ask them to give you some parts boxes. Or hire them to do it. Keeping the receipt happy with a successful shipment should be the first priority, then money. Inadequate packing will destroy any rep you have.

9. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Been working a lot of overtime with the new job brother. Gotz to get it while the gettin is good. ;) Hot and cold weather is moniez in the bank for me. Other than that, things are pretty good here. Slowing making my way back home to my beloved TPU family. :toast:

stinger608, AlienIsGOD and theonedub say thanks.
  10. newguy24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seems like a good idea for the parts, but hire them? For shipping? lol didn’t know I could do that. And ill always keep receipt ill never do a "half a$$" job just also not trying to dig deep into pockets.

Thanks for information

11. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    Shit, meant recipient. As far as hiring the shop to do it, they deal with boxes and shipping on a daily basis, at least ask them how much to pack it up for you. I truly understand about money, but think about what happens if shit gets hosed while en route...

12. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Don't use FedEx. I am still a little pissed about what happened to the case I shipped through them.

13. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure about vehicle hiring prices in the US, but if postage was going to be a REAL killer, I'd hire a car and do the journey myself, maybe kill a few more birds with that stone at the same time...
    (To all you non-English speaking TPU'ers: killing birds with stones is an English phrase)

14. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    lol u r so lucky guys, 45$ for a hole computer shipping, for me one GTX 470 cost me 75$ shipping from amazon

15. lilkiduno

Thanks Received:
    well everything depends, I know that shipping with UPS depends on your boxes Dim (LxWxH), the weight (lbs) and where it is going (zip code).

On top of all that it is cheaper to ship to a place of business then it is to ship to a house, Why?!?! because when businesses get packages they normally get more hten one, where as the UPS driver has to make a "special" trip to a residental home to drop off your package.

Now insurance, UPS covers $100 and it's up to you to cover the rest, the Norm (well here in Ks is $1.50 per additional $100.)

too bad they don't make a "jumbo" flat rate box!