1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Shogun 2 is using less vram now since the big patch

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Phusius, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone else notice this as well? I used to see 2200mb of vram being used and now I never see it go past 1800 or so, no settings changed. Some of the armies and battles have been bigger as well since each general can have twice the size now...

I can't figure it out. Kind of wish I got the GTX 680 now, 2 GB is plenty.
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    yeah, the benchmarks changed considerably, making it neccesary for me to re-benchmark a whole lot of memory kits for a review I did recently.

These changes do seem to make the DX9 CPU benchmark more memory-sensitive than it was before, so personally, I am glad to see the change. The blood add-on had changed things already, so I was suprised ot see a differnce, but also glad at the same time.

I think you'll notice that the load-in screens are differnt now too ,as is the interface a bit. It also seems that they hcanged the format of video files, not too sure on that one though.

Anyway, I didn't have enough time to spend to see what exactly was differnt, other than the benchmark results, so thanks for noticing, and yeah, you are probably right.

Look at how much nicer my result are now:

BEFoRE:

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

THe DX9 benchmark went from about 10 FPS, to 30++ FPS, all on the same benchmark, with seemingly the same visuals. Well, at least to me. Can't say I've actualyl spent much time PLAYING the game as I have BENCHAMRKING it.
  3. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    well after Fall of the Samurai they edited the shader files, and actually lowered Image Quality settings aka made some effects less noticeable removed some gloss effects and changed them not a big deal but imagine having gloss effects on each and every soldier now take that away ;)
    while the new patch has lowered vram usage the real motivation behind it was to make the game run on lower end hardware, sadly on most Total War forums, all they've done is piss ppl off for lowering image quality etc.

There will be another patch coming soon as well since the actually game engine code does work with AMD Radeon HD 7000 series GPUs the game freezes and hardlocks for most 12.3 WHQL offers some fixes, but cant fix all problems Creative Assemblies Game engine is just plain ancient and at this point is showing its age, with compatibility issues with gpus not just from AMD but Nvidia as well

As it stands modders are trying to fix it but sadly CA removed all the code needed to make it work so everyones shit out of luck as FOTS broke most players SHogun 2 and ROTS expansion on top of having GPU compatibility issues they are now lowering IQ across the board instead of just improving lowest settings Optimization.

Image 1 Fall of the Samurai DX11
    [​IMG]
    Image 2 Pre Fall of the Samurai DX11
    [​IMG]

Image 3 Fall of the Samurai DX11
    [​IMG]
    Image 4 Pre Fall of the Samurai DX11
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
    Lionheart, cadaveca and Crap Daddy say thanks.
  4. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought the samurai guys looked different!!! They are missing the gloss that is what I was missing, thanks for pointing that out. Oh well, I might sell my 7970 soon and just take a loss on it and pick up a different card, I only got the 3 GB of vram because of shogun 2, heh.
  5. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    As of right now there 220 pages worth of replies on CA forums about issues with HD 7000 series and Shogun 2 / Shogun 2 ROTS / FOTS

the games kind of a mess right now lol.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthre...s-and-lock-ups?p=334381&viewfull=1#post334381

so yea... i would just avoid the game for the time being lol i went so far as to cancel my pre order when news of issues broke still waiting for them to fix it before i grab FOTS
  6. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    what i love about the total war series is also what i hate about it. they are very ambitious with their development and it tends to lead to pure chaos in the end.
    crazyeyesreaper says thanks.
  7. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    exactly theres alot to admire and respect in their work but at the same time before its said and done you want to strangle them for the fuck ups that mar an otherwise fantastic game.
  8. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Yeah there are a lot of improvements that I'm finally able to crank up the AA further.
  9. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    I got the lockups and freezes as well, thought it would be game related or driver related, thanks for clearing that up:toast:
  10. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    hmm haven't played the game in a bit, will have to see if it appears different to me.