1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I buy a new hard disk or a new video card?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Joshmcmillan, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I recently bought a new computer, went into deabt with my mum to get it and i'm wondering what will be the next bit I get after I have enough money. I am using the intergrated geforce 6150 and an 80gb hard drive currently and I want to upgrade one of those bits. If I got a video card I would go for something like at minimum 8600GT and if I went towards a new hard disk I would get like a 250-320gb. My question is, which would be more usuful to upgrade? I have games for my 80gb HD like Toca3 which is like 11gb, Oblivion is like 8gb and I also have games like need for speed carbon and most wanted, flatout 2, AOE 3, battlefield 2142. My hard disk is FULL so I need a biger one. On the other hand I have my 6150, can play all the new games like battlefield, oblivion and surpreme comander reasonably/playable but I will be upgrading eventually just not sure which would be more usuful to me either a hard disk or an 8600GT.
    Thanks,
    From Josh
  2. anticlutch

anticlutch New Member

Thanks Received:
    8600 for sure. The hard drive can wait... just uninstall games that you don't play, and back everything up to a DVD when you start running out of space.
  3. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok yeah I had to format my hd when I got my new pc and I only have like 4gb of stuff not backed up on dvd's that I copied onto a different computer because It wasn't worth the dvd. Games is the main thing taking up space. Mabey I could like pick up an 80gb hd or something for like AUD$40 on eBay or somthing.
  4. anticlutch

anticlutch New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's what I'm saying... unless you play ALL of your games ALL of the time, just uninstall the ones you play less, and reinstall when you do want to play. I'd take the ability to play games in higher resolutions and settings over more hd space any day...
  5. KJ Guest

A hdd isn't that expensove, is it?
    so why not buy bouth!
  6. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    My thoughts exactly. But most definitely a video card first. A 6150 chipset (6200 gpu) may play your games, but you are missing out on the eye candy. Eye candy and good sound can make a game really come alive. Get a good gpu for your rig. You are shooting yourself in the foot otherwise. :rockout:
  7. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Hey Josh, I see quite a few second hand hdds on ebay for like 60-70 bucks. That should be good enough until you get your new vcard. I reckon the 8600gt will be expensive as hell when it first comes out anyways... Are you savin now?? Maybe you would be better off getting like a x1950 or something and a hdd, wait 6 months then get the DX10 card. I have a heap of hdd's here too I will see if I can find one that works. Might be able to dish out some freebee's...

:)
  8. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Drunken, I'm not that full of money I am saving but still in debt $200 for my new computer. When I buy a video card I will be using it for at least 3 years, so I wanted a DX10 one so it will last that long. It would be awesome if you could find a hd that worked to sell to me.
  9. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Its cool man I said freebe!!! If I can find one I will send it to ya, I have a heap here that are really old but I think I may have a 40gig or something somewhere...