1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I buy a sound card?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Techtu, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I've been thinking for awhile now that my sound system just isn't what it should be despite using an optical connection, using a sound card should improve this right?

Obviously it improves the sound in some way but really how can anyone ever explain the difference unless you've heard it for yourself... which I haven't. Either way I'd like to upgrade my rig but not spend too much at the moment, so what would be an ideal sound card with a budget in mind?
  2. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    okay... so looks like it'll be a late response I guess, anyways I've been looking between a Asus Xonar DG & a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio any input on either of the two?
  3. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i prefer take xonar. in here asus stuff kinda easier to find, but i guess it depends on area
  4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Well... definitely don't get the Xtreme Audio. It's basically a re-badged Audigy.

I have a Xonar DG and I think it's great, but I don't think it will do any more than stereo over optical do to a missing feature set (hence why it's so cheap).

If you REALLY want to use optical, your choices are limited... I know I saw an Asus Xonar somewhere with HDMI...
  5. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Explain please?

Also both the cards I found (above) have a optical port on them :) hence why I mentioned the two, so no worries about that.
  6. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah the sad thing is my audigy value aint get right driver for win 7 and it left dusty now
  7. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Do you plan on keeping your Samsung speaker array? A top notch soundcard would be somewhat wasted with mediocre speakers.
    majestic12 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Techtu says thanks.
  9. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I kinda have to disagree with that :p Yes the none of the speakers in the setup look much at all but it's very misleading and sure surprises everyone who's heard them the sound is very impressive just unfortunately not at lower volumes... I know loudness isn't everything but damn neighbour won't let me turn it up past a quarter of the full way.

They do produce a very clean/realistic sound, much better than I thought they ever would, saying all this though and I'm not actually planning on keeping them I have a mate who keeps pestering me for them & as they've actually gone up in price since I brought them it gives me the chance to sell them at the price I paid for them!
  10. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    Sound card saves CPU cycles which means better frame rates in games. My X-Fi card is great for the money. Great positional sound.
  11. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    That's not strictly true, not all sound cards have a APU, some are hardware driven - which in turn uses the CPU, by today's standards the amount of CPU power it uses is minimal. (Learn't from Hat's thread posted above :) )
  12. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    Most modern sound cards have an APU, mine does. There is no point in using one unless your onboard audio really sucks otherwise.

Back in the P4 days, this made a bigger impact in game performance. Framerate along with sound quality is improved for me in BFBC2 when I go through my sound card instead of onboard. BFBC2 appears to run smoother overall when using my sound card.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011