1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I de-lid my 3770K?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by fullinfusion, Dec 12, 2013.

?

Would you De-lid?

1. Yes

36.4%
  2. No

54.5%
  3. only a fool would

9.1%
  1. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Just as the title says... @ 5.0Ghz I'm pushing 99c on one core running CiniBench

[​IMG]

Should I or not?

Whats the chance of fucking this cpu up? what sides do I NOT cut deeply into? what sides can I?

2. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Depends if you know what your doing and don't care about warranty, I delidded my chip 2 weeks after buying it i didn't care i had never done it before, There are a few things you need to know before doing it though.

3. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Just tune it down to 4.5,unless its much of a big deal if you break it.
    do you want to just swap the paste,or do you want to mount your block directly on the die?

4. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    @Voltage 1.592 Volts + the heat for 5Ghz. I would @ least you could get the heat down to maybe extend it's life ...

5. Bones

Bones

Thanks Received:
  6. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Dont use a vice yes it works but you end up warping the edges of the IHS.

7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    what about lapping the IHS first, im kinda worry of delidding since the chip doesnt have any protection anymore

8. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    lapping would void the warranty as well, you still use the IHS after delidding if that's whats you mean by no protection.

Here are some photos of mine,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fullinfusion says thanks.
  9. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't just because I did it once and the paste (CLU) dried up somehow into a white powder crud. I moved my computer around a lot so it probably shifted the lid. The Lid is retained, its just clamped down with the lever arm but floats on the thermal paste above the silicon.

However since you are really into this, go for it. It will reduce your temperatures, always does atleast 5-10*C, some get 25*C or more.

Use the hammer, vice, wood block method. Thats how I did it and it worked fine. I tested it on 4 celerons that were $5 shipped each off ebay, and then did the i5 with it. I did two with a razor blade and it sucked. The hammer worked every time, took about 1 minute per chip. Razor blade took about 30 minutes per chip. Put electrical tape or something on the edge of the PCB so you dont damage it from the process. Clamp the lid in the vise, put some electrical tape around the pcb edge so it has some protection and start tapping it.

Use Cool Lab Ultra if you want the best result, the Pro stuff is harder to spread. Visually, it is more like a bubble of mercury (or in this case, gallium) than thermal paste, the CLU is closer to traditional thermal paste in that it is atleast somewhat paste.

I found that using more rather than less is the way to go. I read the opposite, but I think thats because most people are accustomed to excess thermal pasting and my idea of using more is still less than most people. Get the die and the edges coated in paste. Also paint a bit onto the contact point underside of lid. Really very similar to doing an graphics card.

Removing the remaining black adhesive crud on the lid and the PCB is imperative for cooler temps as well. Rub it off with a finger until it goes away.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  10. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Never use Liquid Ultra because of the above reason it drys out after time instead only ever use Liquid Pro it says in the same form, And it took you 30min with a razor blade what were you doing having a shave as well took me 5min to take the lid off.

11. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Possibly the celerons were old as hell and therefore harder to cut apart? First was 20 mins second was 40, averaging 30... After the second one I gave up on it and used the hammer method.

12. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    Much more people vote for No, and me too.
    Maybe because for me 4.5GHz(30%) overclocking is absolutely fine improvement.
    That's pure speed and safe distance because stability for long term for people who can OC 4.6-4.9GHz.
    In best case I could get 10-15C and probably 5.0GHz stable but I doubt how much.
    My advice is 4.5GHz max OC for all people with Sandy-Ivy Bridge if you want to CPU stay 100% stable and OK long time.
    Intel have good price and after 2-3 years, special i7. And you can sell easier and cross on better models if you didn't remove IHS.

13. rougal

rougal

Thanks Received:
    I don't think de-lid would would decrease the temp dramatically.. maybe u would get around ~5 degrees temps drop, but that would not make a difference at that 90 degrees range..
    Ultimately it's your choice..

14. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    ~5 degrees delidding takes at lest ~15 degrees off just becasue of the caked on thermal paste thats goes rock hard, And if i want to sell the chip ill just glue it back down.

15. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    once you delid warranty is gone so lapping matters not. i just used a file to remove the rough edge where i had over tightened the vice.

it is because the normal tim can not deal with the high heat cycles and why you should only use liquid ultra.

16. Enterprise24

Thanks Received:
    Temp drop 20-30C is very impressive for me.

17. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Go for it!
    Let us know the results:)

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    If you're doing something that needs those jiggahurts go for it. If you don't, just take it back a notch.

This is coming from someone who generally finds overclocking useless these days though.

19. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Massive battles in real time strategies, raids in mmo, open world games with insane draw distances and last but not least horribly optimized console ports. You can always see benefits of a cpu overclock if you play all teh games :laugh:.

Live OR Die says thanks.
  20. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Most people overclock for fun and to get the most out of there chip, Most games will still run the same with out overclocking but there are some that love higher GHz over cores.

21. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    I would de-lid only if I was prepared to pay for a new CPU in case I destroyed it in the process.

22. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you take your time with a razor blade, do it methodically, it's impossible to destroy a CPU by delidding it. If it breaks while delidding, you probably deserve it for doing it wrong. If benchmarking, do it, it isnt hard, took me all of 15 minutes. If playing games, just don't bother. If you're not going to use liquid pro, and just some ordinary thermal paste, don't bother either, unless you intend to repaste it every 3-6 months.

23. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    depending on the tim, some of the normal ones will bake in a matter of days not weeks :(

24. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Yer that's why intel used paste :p haha even better off with a thermal pad would work better well would last longer.

25. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Could you stop CLU from drying out if you resealed the IHS some how?