1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I get a new video card?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Sixaintnine, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Sixaintnine New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I woke up the other morning, turned my PC on and it gave me 1 long and 3 short beep.
    It also showed that I should "Check the signal cable". I found out that this can be caused by the video card, RAM or BIOS right? So I opened up my PC and took the video card out and put it back in, tried rubbing the contacts with some paper (dont know if this is a good idea throught). Nothing happened. So I tried removing RAM's (I got 2 RAM cards by 1GB). Still nothing. I dont want to go any futher with dismanteling my PC because I dont have expierience in this. But I suspect its the video cards fault. Right? And basicaly what Im asking is should I buy a new video card? Should I try something else to fix the problem?

Dont know if this is of any help but here goes my video card and motherboard:
    My video card: GeForce 8600GT
    My Motherbord: M2N-E SLI ASUS
    This is the card Im considering getting:http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGT240DI1GD3A/#specifications

So should I risk getting a new video card?

Looking forward for quick responses.
  2. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Well, s similar problem like yours that I encountered before was that I simply removed the battery from the motherboard, and the computer booted up fine. I don't know what it exactly did, but it worked for me.
    Sixaintnine says thanks.
  3. Sixaintnine New Member

Thanks Received:
    The battery in the lower part of motherbord? Isnt it for the buzzer to do beeps?
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  4. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Well there should only be one battery in the motherboard.
  5. Sixaintnine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Theres alot of wires I thought they might be covering one idk. Anyways its near the buzzer which makes me think its used for that. And its tightly put in there so I couldnt manage to get it out.
  6. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    First, I suggest that you remove the psu plug from the outlet. Then use something sharp like a pen or something and try plucking it out. Be careful not to pluck it out so hard as you might accidentally damage other things with the sharp object.
  7. Sixaintnine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I removed it and I got the same beeping. I guess thats not the problem. Thanks anyways.
  8. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    what type of cable are you using, HDMI, DVI, VGA?
  9. Sixaintnine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im using DVI-D Dual link. But I kinda rolled it out because I tried 2 of em.
  10. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    One short, three longs is a RAM error. Reseat your RAM, unplug your PSU, remove the BIOS battery, hold the power button for a couple of seconds, put the BIOS battery back in and the power back on. Good chance this will fix your problem, otherwise you're in a dire position.
  11. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    If it is showing the "Check Signal" on your screen, I believe it has to do with the cable, as my cables come out easily.
  12. Sixaintnine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope. Same beeps. You see I got no problem with buying a new video card but I really need to know it is its fault. Is it safe to assume that right now? Or should I try something more?
  13. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    If it shows "Check Signal", the monitor is not receiving a signal. This can be due to a faulty GFX card or a broken cable. You could also try reseating the GFX card.
  14. Sixaintnine New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess if the video card is not passing signal to the motherbord from the monitor it could also show check signal cable. Couldnt it?
  15. Sixaintnine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried it. I also tried cleaning its contacts. Nothing.
  16. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Don't bother with that GT240, it's a pile of crap. Buy a GTX 460 at the very least.
    Sixaintnine says thanks.
  17. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    I would suggest finding someone with a backup GFX card you can test before buying a new one, or buy it at a shop where you can make sure you can return it if the GFX card is not the problem.

You might have a bigger problem at hand though. I'm suggesting motherboard, or PSU.
    Sixaintnine says thanks.
  18. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    I agree, might be the PSU or motherboard.
  19. Sixaintnine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why PSU, motherboard? Is the chance of it being video card so small?
  20. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Because any properly seated GFX card *should* give a signal to a monitor cable, but the 1 short, 3 long beep code refers to a RAM problem.

Usually if there are conflicting symptoms pointing to different components, one of the components that governs all other components (so the PSU or the motherboard) is the problem.
  21. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    I have yet to encounter any problems with video cards. Whether the video card is old or new, I have never had any problem with them. This is my experience with problems I have encountered when troubleshooting my computers though. I don't know if it will apply to yours, but I am just sharing my experience with you that I have faced before.
  22. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    That MB has Award BIOS, so 1 long 3 short beeps means something related to GFX card definately.

I would suggest the same as above, see if you can borrow a GPU from someone and try it out before buying anything.

At this point the fault is either on the GFX card or the MB IMO. afaik the 8600 does not need aditional power, so the PSU I'd rule out PSU for the time being. You would get another kind of error if the MB itself was not getting enough power.

BTW have you tried to put the GFX card in another PCIe slot?
    Sixaintnine says thanks.
  23. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Whoops, I misread and assumed an AMI BIOS:ohwell:
    so I'd say, get another GFX card to check :)
  24. Sixaintnine New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well thank you all for the help. I guess Im gonna try to find a shop which I could return the video card to if thats not the case... But if the problem is motherboard wouldn't it be smarter to get new PC?

Mine has 2GB RAM and 2,4 GHZ Dual core
  25. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    If your going to buy a new pc why not just build a cheap rig and you could salvage some parts like the PSU, 2GB RAM and save about 150 bucks.