1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I get a q6600/q8200 or should I go for the i7 920?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BloodTotal, Dec 5, 2008.

1. BloodTotal

BloodTotal New Member

Thanks Received:
    From my other thread:

CPU: I chose this because I did alot of reasearch for CPUs a while ago, but didn't go through with the purchase of a new computer because I thought I would wait it out. I remember that the Q6600 was really good, but I was going to go for the xeon 3220 or something like that. Anyways I don't want to spend $400 on a CPU so I thought that this would be the best pic since it is a quad. *Another bonus is that since I am going to sell this pc in june, it will be a good advertisment (buy a quad core computer!)* Since the next best CPU is like around $350 and the next best one after that is $400, if you're going to pay $350 for a CPU, you might as well just get the better one for $50 more. So I think that is why this one is the best choice

----------------------------------------

Is there that much of a performance boost?

I am going to be mostly gaming - no raring, or video encoding

I will also have to buy the mobo for whichever one

Need some expert opinions
  2. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well if u game then get a dual core like a E8500. Or if u are really rich buy an i7 and a asus p6t. Then when games support quad cores, the fps will go flying.
    BloodTotal says thanks.
  3. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I suggest you wait it out, there is so much going on in the CPU market. i7s and x58s will be replaced when Westmere chips arrive on Q3, Phenom X4 AM2+ Deneb will start selling on January 8 as well as AM3 chips on February, Q6600 Quads will phase out soon and Q8000 and Q9000 will be getting a revision for lower TDP ratings on January 16. Just to let you know if you haven't been researching or reading the articles...
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
    BloodTotal says thanks.
  4. BloodTotal

BloodTotal New Member

Thanks Received:
    i cannot wait it out >< thats what I did last time, and my wait up is done

otherwise I should just wait it out till we have 24 core DX7 warp threading micro endon eruptor processors
  5. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
    well then seriously get a q6600 or E8500.

or if you need bleeding edge an i7
    BloodTotal says thanks.
  6. rmgrimnes New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would like to have a new comp built for home office. i want it to scream. what parts would anyone suggest? i need a list to give to my comp tech.
    BloodTotal says thanks.
  7. BloodTotal

BloodTotal New Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the best computer forum on the web!

well if you want it to scream, you would need 3 200mm fans on it, and oh it will roar like a jet turbine

My serious advice, make your own thread, express your individual needs, and they will tell you what is best!
  8. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Q6600 is recommended over the E8500 for future proofing, now that GTA4 has proven to be a tri-threaded game. the E8500 is 20% faster on stock and 50% better at overclocking, however the Quads are going to be the new processors over the dual-core something in 2009. But if you have time, wait for the new CPUs to come out, you won't regret it.
    BloodTotal says thanks.
  9. BloodTotal

BloodTotal New Member

Thanks Received:
    how much better are the new processors going to be than the q6600

like lets say the q6600 right now is $200, what would i be able to get of those processors for $200, by percentage approximately how much would it be better?