1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I get two more gigs? (and a question about tracers)

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by xazraelx, Nov 17, 2007.

1. xazraelx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, well, I just built a computer about two weeks ago.

I'm debating between getting another two gigs of ram or leaving it at the 2x 1 gigs that I have.

The memory that I have now is the two gigabytes of: Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model NE2KIT12864AL804 - Retail, which were the handpicked chips newegg had for a while with those awful blue LEDs in them haha.

Well, I love the ram - and I want two more gigs. The reason for this is I want to load a dual-boot with XP sp2 and vista business edition. I'm told vista needs a lot of ram to perform well, so that was part of the deciding factor. The other part is...why not? :p

Anyway, newegg doesn't have my specific model anymore. But I don't really feel comfortable putting two different types in. So what (if I should) should I get?

In addition, is there a way to replace the blue LEDs on the RAM for red LEDs? Or at least turn them off. I dislike blue, heh.

2. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    I PMed you a conversation I had with Crucial reps about your issue with the RAM. Your chips will be compatable with standard Tracers. However, sucks that you hate those LEDs so much.

I wonder if there are any other hand picked chips out there besides the tracers. Anyone know?