1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should i get Vista 64bit?(Couple of Questions)

Discussion in 'General Software' started by CDdude55, Nov 22, 2008.

1. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    The PC in my System Specs doesn't have an OS currently on it, I was thinking about getting Vista.

I basically only use my PC for gaming and going on the internet only, Also, should i wait and get SP2 if i decided to get it?

Also, upgrading things like my video card and what not is the same way as in XP right?

Also, is 64bit stable enough to not BSOD all the time? I am mainly getting it because i have 4GB of RAM.

Probably going to get Home Basic if i do(its cheap on Newegg)

:toast:

2. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Vista 64 has been beautiful for me, and I've never had a BSOD I couldn't attribute to a failed overclock. Super-stable since SP1.

Vista Home Premium is only ten dollars more on Newegg than Basic....Get that for sure. Basic from what I've seen is a bit brutal.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  3. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 for Vista x64

Not a single blue screen since ive used it and not 1 freeze so far in over 3 months of use.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree here. Only issues I had with BSOD's was due to OCing or the ram crapping out on me, again from OCing.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  5. JMTECH New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm considering going Vista 64bit since the SP is out now and I might as well use my 4GB of RAM. All I use this PC for right now is WoW and web browsing so it should work out fine. I will use Acronis to backup my system before just in case.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  6. evil bill New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP1 and have found it to be extremely stable. The only things that have upset it were Rivatuner and the buggy hell that is STALKER Clear Sky which caused complete lock-ups and BSODs - its safe to say that was the games fault rather than Vista.

Vista SP2? I don't think there is even a date pencilled in for that unless I've missed something. And its just a free download away if it does come out anyway so why wait?

Since you have 4GB you definitley want a 64bit OS, and if you are a gamer then why would you not want DX10. Do it!

EDIT: First half of 2009 for final release Vista SP2

http://blogs.technet.com/springboard/archive/2008/10/24/first-look-windows-vista-service-pack-2.aspx

CDdude55 says thanks.
  7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    IIRC SP2 for Vista is being beta tested now!

8. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Thanks all, good advice.:)

9. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Why not use Windows Server 2008 its free for 60 days which can be extended to 240 days.. its basically a Vista x64 without the security center and sidebar (sidebar can be installed afterwads).. also it gives you the possibilty to test Vista before u buy it.. Aero works perfectly on it as does Games.. check my other post http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=76698&highlight=server 2008

Edit: u can download a 32 bit version of 2008 as well

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
    CDdude55 says thanks.