1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

should i make the switch xp->vista

Discussion in 'General Software' started by exodusprime1337, Jan 7, 2008.

1. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    so i've got this copy of vista just sitting here, i don't really feel like dual booting but i want to use it, will it make a huge dent in game performance or will i still be able to run cod4 maxed out like i do now?? BTW i'm goin to be upgrading to vista with the pc in my specs.

2. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    no takers booo

3. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    With yoru specs, you should be able to max it. People will more than likely come on here preaching how XP Sp3 gives a huge performance boost to XP and that you should stick with that and that Vista is "gay" and "sucks" and "buggy" and "kills" game performance when it really doesnt. I have used it over a year with next to 0 problems. Sure I have had SOME compatibility issues, but more and more support comes out every day. I say go with Vista. Im quite happy with it.

Think of it this way too. If you get over 30 FPS, who gives a damn? The game is still going to run smooth. Human eye cant tell the difference between 60 FPS and 100 FPS anyway.

4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    You hardly gave the thread a chance and it is the middle of the night after all. :slap:

5. Firedomain

Firedomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    dont forget he's only running 1/2 the ram u & i are.

i dont think u'll have many problems, but i do think there will b a noticable performance drop....
    just my opinion. but then again i have only had vista on this comp, so i cant compare it to xp performance.

6. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    I suggest you install both on different disks or partitions and see for your self. there are advantages and disadvantages to both operating systems.... for example xp pro sp2 are faster than vista ultimate, while vista seem to be more secure... but if you install all xp updates that is not an issue.... :rolleyes:
    A potential problem, in case of vista, is obtaining all hardware drivers for your system...:cool:

7. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    So? I ran Vista just fine with 2GB of RAM for 6-8 months before I went 4GB. I only went 4GB for x64 and because I had the money. :)

I never used 100% of my 2GB RAM.

I notice 0 performance drop. I say this before I went to a RAID 0 array.

8. Firedomain

Firedomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    i had no problem, drivers were fine for me & im running x64 (can b a prick with drivers)
    1 tragic thing is u will get a bit of a drop in ur 3dmark 06 score... look at mine & my comp aint that bad! lol

i use around just over 2GB most of the time with vista, but then again i do multitask a hell of a lot!

(& u wont b able 2 use 100% or ur ram coz windows will place older files into the pagefile)

9. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Vista pretty much installs the drivers you normally would install in XP. (eg motherboard drivers and what not) Other than that, all you need are sound drivers and video and your pretty much set on the drivers. (other than printer; and even then Vista probably supports that out of the box)

10. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Believe it or not, my 06 score went up.

11. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I ran Vista for a good 4 months. It was fine, but I noticed after a while, I was just tweaking it to get the best performance out of it anyway. Then I realized, why not just switch back to XP. XP made me happy again. :D

13. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    thanx guys, yeah sorry about the "no takers" comment i lost track of time playin guitar hero 3 and thought it'd been longer, as for that 3dmark score, i've broken 11k with my 5000 are you saying your quad can't even compare with my x2 5000?? amd is looking good in this argument lol. Yeah i think i'm gonna make the switch to vista, just for the prettiness of it really, i've been running my xp os stripped of all themes and desktop enhancements, looks like windows 98 on my drive lol.

14. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Who said that?

15. Firedomain

Firedomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    but then again i love my pc looking good, so i have every visual tweak & crap on!
    am still running COD4 max everything.

wonder what id get if i ran it in xp or just with all visuals off......

16. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Quick answer. Hell no. Unless you NEED dx10 I see no reason to bog yourself down with Vista. dx10 should be ported for XP soon anyways.

17. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    No way...:cool:

This must be a minority report-....:cool:

18. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    according to microsoft reports there is no intension to release xp dx10 update...
    not even in service pack 3....
    and gears of war in dx10 is a good reason!

19. Firedomain

Firedomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    true true, many more games are coming out now with advantages for DX10 & occasionally a vista only release. (unless a pirate patcher is released 2 make the disc think ur running on vista 2 install it on XP!)
    eg. Halo 2

20. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I dual boot, only because I use Vista for DX10 games. In DX9 games, the difference in playing them on the 2 operating systems for me is around 3-4FPS average, ranging from -8.....to just -1FPS, that is making DX9 performance comparisons in Vista and XP 32bit with identical hardware settings for the following games:

COD4 (Best performing in Vista, only 1FPS slower than XP)
    Supreme Commander (this was the worst performing under Vista @ 8FPS slower than XP)
    Stalker
    BF2142
    Dirt

I deliberatly tested the 2 systems for performance when I installed Vista in early December as I too was interested to see the difference although I only used a timed loop in FRAPS so nothing too Sceintific there.

In 3D Mark 2006 the difference between the 2 OS's with again same system settings on my 8800GTS was 390 points but TBH synthetic benchmarks are just that.....urmmmm.....synthetic!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  21. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have wondered the same But my recent test run on an older AMD pc with vista business left me sorelly disapointed. However my new laptop runs great on vista home premium. My main workstation(in specs) has newer hardware and I want to see dx10 in action.
    The main point of my vista business post was we were going to maybe setup a 28 pc network at local office with it but the older hardware there made it to expensive(upgrades)
    and to big of a risk. Yet I still can't decide:laugh:

22. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    If you are referring to that 14 year old kid porting it over to XP, last I heard that failed miserably.

I always find it funny when people say that Vista "bogs" you down. I notice no difference. And I am saying this from previous experience. I have run Vista on a single core, dual core and a quad core with no noticeable slowdowns compared to that of XP. And again, if the game runs at least 30 FPS or more and runs smooth as hell, why the hell does it matter if there is a slight performance hit?

23. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Your right. Which is why it's not MS doing it. ;) Check out the Alky project.

24. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Your kidding me right? oh oh Is this that "The human eye see 30fps as motion" argument again? 30fps is -unplayable- for me. I need 100fps or more but I play first person shooters where I need to spin around in 250ms and get my target on a player with more then 7 frames to do it. "headshot" :rockout:

100fps-> :nutkick: <-30fps

25. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    Go vista i love it, but i guess i just like trying stuff out, ive been in betas for like everything for the past 3 years, loved everytime something went wrong