1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I replace thermal paste on my laptop?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by hat, Jan 26, 2010.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I'm wondering if I should do a little weekend project and take my laptop apart and re-apply thermal paste on the processor. It runs incredibly hot while running WCG. It's a Celeron m 530—single core, 1.73GHz, 30w processor—and right now, running WCG at 60% cpu usage, it still manages to climb up to like 80*c. I'm wondering if I should do a little project this weekend and replace the thermal paste with some MX-2?

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Why wait til the weekend?:) Its a great idea, although laptop coolers really aren't too impressive.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    if done correctly it will actually help alot :toast: *speaking from first hand experience here:roll:*

4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Well, that way I can take the laptop half-apart then do something else for a few hours, then go on like that until it gets done on Sunday :p

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. dcf-joe

dcf-joe

Thanks Received:
    Or, you can take a vacuum cleaner, make it so that it is blowing out air, and blow air through the cooler opening while it is on. I have done this many times while running Core Temp, and it is fun watching the temperature go down, live. Watching the dust shoot out is quite satisfying as well...