1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I sell this PSU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pinchy, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    PSU in question is the one in my system specs to the left.

What its problem is: during very hot days (35*C+), if I am playing a game for a couple of hours, the computer hard reboots. I know its a PSU problem. If I turn the fans up to max, it doesnt reset at all.

What I am asking is, would it be fine to resell? I dont want to sell a shady part to someone, so thats why I am asking. I personally think it should be fine, as IMO its problem is its got too much load for what it can handle, so in a lower specd computer it should be fine.

Also, it has a year left of warranty on it.

Whatcha think?

2. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Well if you run the fan at the lowest speed and it is doing this then you run the fan at the highest speed and it doesn't do this why not just run the PSU fan at the highest speed all the time ? seems kinda strange that you would sell it off just because you fail to run the fan at the coolest setting needed .

3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Personally I can't stand it when people try to sell iffy hardware. Is it that Atrix psu in your specs? Looks like it may being pushed to it's limit, working as hard as it can and just crapping out. You've got average joe trying to lift arnold schwarzenegger's weights there. Buy a schwarzenegger and use the average joe psu in an average joe computer.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I have a CoolMax that does this too when it's around those temps and only way to get around it is to use a lower power usage v card. What i also did is send it back to the company as faulty and got a brand new one and put it with a lower end v card.

So maybe get it replaced and tell people who are interested that it is a possible issue if they use a v card to powerful for it.

I replaced mine with a PC&Power and had the problem since.

Not really iffy, but should always make buyer aware. Although it does sound like a weak ass PSU at least mine handled my 2900XT as long as it was not overclocked.

5. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    I agree with both here. If the PSU can hold with high fan speed then use it, but I wouldn't trust it, few days like this it will see the light and it will make sure it will take others with it:D

I would say buy a better brand PSU with ample amps and watts and be happy. Use this PSU for test purpose or other low power consuming machine.

please don't sell broken hardware knowingly.

:toast:

6. Akumos

Akumos

Thanks Received:
    I don't think it's broken. The rest of your spec is awesom. I think it's just a case of trying to get too much juice from a poor wattage CPU. Nice overlocked on the CPU btw!!!

7. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol...I understand its being pushed to its limits and I will be buying a new seasonic unit, but I wanted to basically know if running it for around 2 weeks in the heat has wrecked it. (Has crashed a total of three times)

As I said, its just the heat. I can run this thing during the Winter for hours without problems, and not much hot air comes out of the back (on its lower fan speed setting). You have to understand though, a 42*C day makes a difference, especially after doing a couple of hours of gaming.

The reason I am actually getting a newer powersupply is because I may be getting anther HD4850 for CF, and of course I cant stand the high noise levels of the PSU all summer :p.

Of course, the PSU had no problems churning through the hot days on my HD3850.