1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I upgrade or Build New ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bear2790, Aug 13, 2011.

1. bear2790

bear2790 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the following hardware and with Bulldozer on the near horizon and prices on current tech being rather low at the moment ($40 for 2x2GB 1600 DDR3 - Wow) I began thinking it might be a good time to get a better gaming machine. Currently have the following:

- Athlon II x 3 425 2.7GHz cpu (OCed 3.2GHz)
    - Asrock 770/710SB mobo
    - 2x2GB 1066 DDR3
    - MSI N460GTX 1GB Cyclone
    - Fatal1ty 550W PS
    - Windows Vista (soon to be Win 7 after this coming Monday)

I have a 19" trinitron monitor, 1600x1200 res and I plan to keep it that way (no LCD panel right now) and with Crysis I get 35fps minimum @ 1600x1200 AAx2 (high settings - with a few on very high).

It's a respectable setup.

For a noticeable gaming performance increase (higher fps, adding more AA, etc), would you recommend upgrading what I have, building new or leaving things be for now ?

I'm only concerned with real world gaming performance, not benchmark stuff. Thanks

2. sy5tem

Thanks Received:

for you and for gaming .. you should just upgrade CPU when you see one dirty cheap for sale .. and upgrade videocard in the next 6 month? RAM speed&timing is not worth the trouble.... unless you buy 4x2 or 2x4 .. 8 gig help games a lot you really don't need upgrade now

just for gaming of couse... honestly don't think you need better atm :p

bear2790 says thanks.
  3. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you feel the need for better performance go with an intel based system. I wouldn't bother upgrading on that AMD platform, but some people might think otherwise.

You will notice a very large performance increase when you switch over to an intel processor. They are just simply much more powerful, and games prefer them.

I wouldn't hold your breath for bulldozer either.

bear2790 says thanks.