1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should i upgrade or wait for pcie 3.0

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by radeon747, Nov 7, 2010.

1. radeon747

radeon747 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well i was reading through wikipedia about the new p67 chipset sandy bridge processors beacuse i want to upgrade, and happend to come across a different chipset which to me looks to be the new x68. And i would like to know if they are sporting the new pcie 3.0 beacuse i would like to know what Q 2011 im looking at waiting. Thanks radeon747

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    PCI-E 3.0 isn't really a reason to wait. The current PCI-E standard is sufficient for cards that aren't even released yet. :)

radeon747 says thanks.
  3. radeon747

radeon747 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply i just dont wantto be a sucker no offence and buy my p67 setup and three months latter x68 comes out with pcie.

4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    How does your rig treat you now? Do you want to upgrade now or feel you need to upgrade now because of lacking performance? Seems you have a pretty decent build...but I 100% agree with Erocker, PCIe 2.0 will have more than enough bandwidth for cards that aren't even released yet...new standards don't always mean instantly better or more useful. Check out some of TPU's very own articles on this in some of their VGA reviews where they'll run 16X, 8X, 4X and 1X to see how GPU's scale at different PCIe speeds (bandwidth ratings)...it's actually surprising how many run just as fast at 8X or 4X as 16X on the current standard...so what is 3.0 really gonna bring when most top-end cards aren't even affected by lower 2.0 speeds?

radeon747 says thanks.
  5. radeon747

radeon747 New Member

Thanks Received:

yeah great sig crap motherboard cant even overclock cpu or ram thats why i need a upgrade bad . yeah i probaly go for the p67 with a 2 6870s and a quad thanks for changing my confused mind lol.

6. SpeedsticK

SpeedsticK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just get a top of the line board of todays standards, wait until better revised versions of the PCI-E 3.0 boards come out before you get one, because if you get one, you will need to wait for tons of updates to use it to its full potential.

7. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Todays cards still barely saturate PCI-E 1.0/1.1, it's gonna be while till we see much of a benefit in the extra bandwidth.