1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I use DVI for my PC-monitor connection? And use the VGA port for my Xbox360?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by KKSlider1337, Jan 5, 2009.

1. KKSlider1337

Thanks Received:
    Hi there,

My computer only seems to work through the DVI port, and I when I got it I got a DVI-VGA adaptor, and was using that connected to a VGA lead, then to my monitor. Got a new monitor/TV combo though with an actual DVI port.

I don't have any DVI leads to my knowledge, so my question is would I get any benefit from buying one and using that? And is there anything I should take into consideration, e.g. the type or quality of the lead I buy (I don't really know anything about them.)

Secondly, my 360 is also connected to this TV, so if I freed up the VGA port would I then get a benefit from buying a 360 VGA lead to connect it by that, or should I stick to component?

My TV/monitor is an LG M2094D, 1680x1050, 720p.

Thanks in advance.

----------------
    Now playing: Cynic - Integral Birth
    via FoxyTunes

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    For the 360, stick with component. Since the 360 comes with a component cable, no need to buy something that will show zero difference. As for the monitor, did it not come with a DVI cable? All of the monitors I have ever bought came with the cable necessary..

What kind of video card do you have? Does it have DVI? If so, use that.

3. KKSlider1337

Thanks Received:
    Nah, the monitor came with another VGA cable, as it supports both. So I was wondering if it would look better with DVI.

4. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    DVI is pretty much the same as HDMI. DVI/HDMI are digital, while VGA/Component are analogue(I believe). I believe both have the same max resolution, but I've noticed HDMI/DVI have richer colors.

KKSlider1337 says thanks.
  5. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Use DVI there is a discernible difference between DVI and VGA.

6. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    DVI i would say for the computer. My monitor didn't come with a DVI just a VGA. however i love the rich color that DVI has over VGA. I would then go VGA for the xbox.

7. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    The gaming console I have know idea ...but the Monitor should be DVI my friend as thats your Hi Def out put from your Vid card:toast:
    720P is considered hi def ..its just the low end .

8. KKSlider1337

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the replies guys :)

Looks like I have some cable shopping to do. Does it matter if the leads are particularly high quality?

Also, you can get dual-link or single-link DVI, in DVI-D, DVI-A or DVI-I. I'm guessing I should get a DVI-I or DVI-D lead.

The 360 VGA leads have a red and white audio output on them, I suppose I have to plug them straight into my stereo and that it wouldn't work if I just plugged them into the component on my TV, because VGA input would be selected at the time? If so, that would be a bit of a pain.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009