1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I wait for new technology or not bother?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Sensi Karate, Dec 10, 2009.

1. JTS

JTS New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only problem with waiting is that even though you may have the 'latest tech' - there will be bugger all that supports it for quite a while. By the time it's widely adopted, there are usually several revisions to that tech which bring a whole range of improvements.

Sometimes early adoption can be more trouble than it's worth. SSD's are a prime example. The 2nd-3rd gen drives are much improved over the originals.

If you can wait until after xmas, the prices and availability of the 58xx cards should have improve significantly.

Sensi Karate says thanks.
  2. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL!!!!

Well, I got a Phenom X4 9950 atm - My board will support AM2+ and AM3 too - so yeah... don't matter which I suppose.

3. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    That was the thing I was worrying about. However I was always going to buy a mobo in 2011 so if it has extras, then I'm fine with that. I will mostly likely get a 58xx card if I don't get one at xmas and they drop in price.

Both seem to be around the $200 mark in Australia, fairly good price for a nice CPU.

Anyone remember?
    Also a good oc and crossfire/sli PSU would be helpful. ;)

4. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    i was in the same boat not so long back, i decided to get a q9550 and clock the nuts off it. yea newer cpu/mobo would give me some more power but not enought to justify the expense to me atm.

that mobo you have is going to waste not having a q in it m8 they are as good as they get for clocking core2quads :D

5. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I may get a Quad core, but my E8400 can do fairly well overclocked.

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Wait till 2011 at least. Maybe a new v card ( with 1GB ) but that's it but then again if every things running reasonably well why bother upgrading :).