1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I wait for new technology or not bother?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Sensi Karate, Dec 10, 2009.

  1. JTS

    JTS New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2009
    Messages:
    144 (0.08/day)
    Thanks Received:
    32
    Location:
    Brisbane
    The only problem with waiting is that even though you may have the 'latest tech' - there will be bugger all that supports it for quite a while. By the time it's widely adopted, there are usually several revisions to that tech which bring a whole range of improvements.

    Sometimes early adoption can be more trouble than it's worth. SSD's are a prime example. The 2nd-3rd gen drives are much improved over the originals.

    If you can wait until after xmas, the prices and availability of the 58xx cards should have improve significantly.
     
    Sensi Karate says thanks.
  2. beyond_amusia

    beyond_amusia New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2007
    Messages:
    1,140 (0.41/day)
    Thanks Received:
    63
    Location:
    Baltimore, Maryland
    LOL!!!!

    Well, I got a Phenom X4 9950 atm - My board will support AM2+ and AM3 too - so yeah... don't matter which I suppose.
     
    Sensi Karate says thanks.
  3. Sensi Karate

    Sensi Karate New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2009
    Messages:
    383 (0.22/day)
    Thanks Received:
    63
    Location:
    Brisbane, Australia
    That was the thing I was worrying about. However I was always going to buy a mobo in 2011 so if it has extras, then I'm fine with that. I will mostly likely get a 58xx card if I don't get one at xmas and they drop in price.

    Both seem to be around the $200 mark in Australia, fairly good price for a nice CPU.

    Anyone remember?
    Also a good oc and crossfire/sli PSU would be helpful. ;)
     
  4. marsey99

    marsey99

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1,572 (0.60/day)
    Thanks Received:
    295
    i was in the same boat not so long back, i decided to get a q9550 and clock the nuts off it. yea newer cpu/mobo would give me some more power but not enought to justify the expense to me atm.

    that mobo you have is going to waste not having a q in it m8 they are as good as they get for clocking core2quads :D
     
    Sensi Karate says thanks.
  5. Sensi Karate

    Sensi Karate New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2009
    Messages:
    383 (0.22/day)
    Thanks Received:
    63
    Location:
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah, I may get a Quad core, but my E8400 can do fairly well overclocked.
     
  6. AsRock

    AsRock TPU addict

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2007
    Messages:
    10,906 (4.12/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,673
    Location:
    US
    Wait till 2011 at least. Maybe a new v card ( with 1GB ) but that's it but then again if every things running reasonably well why bother upgrading :).
     
    Sensi Karate says thanks.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)

Share This Page