1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should turn CATALYST AI off???

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by paulo7, Jul 20, 2008.

1. paulo7 New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    id suggest Leaving it on for Games that were Produced about 2005 and higher and off for games before that, now only thing is you could create a profile for that option i believe/
  3. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    I leave all my options/settings default in the CCC.
  4. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    surely just leave it on... any games pre 2005 will fly with that HD4870 as is and will be able to be maxxed out? I never touch mine, just leave it on the standard setting
  5. paulo7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I meant in relation to what guys were discussing in that forum, talking about image quality and how the ai can limit sampling to improve performance therefore giving lesser quality image i think,

I've notice some flickering in total war but apart from that havent noticed anything much
  6. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    Enabling AI will reduce image quality. Period. To what extent can only been seen by experimentation. It is certainly not as noticeable as changing the MipMap quality.

They call it a "driver optimisation", but that really doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't you use your "optimised driver" from the get-go.

If you want the best looking image, Disable Cat AI (unless you have a crossfire configuration).
    paulo7 says thanks.
  7. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    How does it affect performance? My systems currently broken, so I cant test this. But could someone run the high preset of vantage with ai off and on and then see if the gpu scores change.

Thanks.
  8. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course it will hurt performance with AI off. That is a given.

It's a matter of priorities which you choose to do.

IQ is key=AI off or standard
    FPS is key=AI Advanced
  9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  10. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've tried this myself and noticed no IQ difference in Dirt, HL2, etc when going from AI standard to AI off. AI advance had something to do with the CPU (told by someone from ATI at the time).
  11. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, can you test vantage gpu scores (use high iq settings, high or extreme). I suspect that there will be next to no difference. I remmeber testing the difference between standard and performance settings with no noticeable performance improvement.

Thanks.
  12. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    I don't have vantage but I do have Grid:

[​IMG]
    Standard AI

[​IMG]
    AI OFF

As you can see, the frame rate and IQ are identical. As I raced I noticed no odd frame rates. This has been my experience in other games that I've tried. If there is a difference in frame rates I don't notice it (or it's not apparent).

Sidenote:
    Place each pic in it's own tab to get a better view.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
    ghost101 says thanks.
  13. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    just, don't use advanced, it bogs my fps down when I set AI to advanced in some games

but in fur bench advanced gives me a higher score, its wierd
  14. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, I do experience low frame rates with AI on advance (using a single GPU). I was told that advance AI was intended for CPU limited games. If the game responded positively while with better CPU then advance AI should also work in that game. I never tried it though.
  15. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    AI usually works on a small amount of games, like Oblivion, but it sucks when it comes to medicore games like Half-life 2. I think AI's methods are to lower AA a bit since I've noticed more jaggy lines when I go through big environments on Oblivion.
  16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    AI was originally meant to fix some flaws in games by replacing certain things in the graphics engine, but it seems only few games utilize the technology, there are programs out there to allow it to be enabled and disabled on the fly with profiling, so you can utilize it for games that do and off for games that dont, UT 2004 didnt support it and suffered from a Frames drop, so leaving it off fixed it, also that GRID image i didnt notice anything other than a few specs of dirt i guess around the Right Cowl Induction Hood Scoop, and the 1st place Yellow Marker.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  17. paulo7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im gonna do some testing today so let u know if I notice any major differences with it on or off