1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should we pay more or less attenion to the media?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Xazax, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Hey all, im doing an persuasive essay for college i would like your thoughts on this.. to help me get an idea.

Should we pay more or less attention to the Media(TV ads, magazine ads etc.)? Why or why not?

What do you guys think?
  2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Less attention - all the media (read EVERY SINGLE source) bends the truth to scare monger and reflect the media's own agenda. I take everything I read, see or hear with a tonne or two of salt.
    Xazax says thanks.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you. theres no way to trust what they say it all seems opinionated in so many aspects
  4. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Well, im specifically talking about advertisements, so you guys think there un-trust worthy?
  5. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    The media can make new or just ignore it. I mean i don't mean to sound disrespectful here, but the UK public only heard about Ike and the others when they were hitting the States. Not once did they mention that they have already butchered the Caribbean. It seems it only qualifies to be news when it hits the States,Ii don't know if that is just us brown noseying or what but it gets on my tits.
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Advertisements are biased, as they are put out by the company that manufactures the product. Ignore? No, but should never be taken for the truth.
  7. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I think they should just be banned....

It would force buyers to actually look into something so they wouldn't complain so much.
    Besides that's getting more and more common these days and advertisements are diminishing in their returns quickly for the last few years.
  8. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There are various "Truth in Advertising" laws here in the US.
    There is, however, quite a difference between truth and "the whole truth".
    There are also many variable which can be applied (or not) to create a truth.

For instance, if a car company states that their vehicle gets 35 mpg highway it may be the truth, but under what conditions? Usually you will see something in the small print that says "actual results may vary".

The best attitude to take when viewing/hearing/reading an advertisement is "Caveat emptor",
    (Let the buyer beware), and do your homework.
    Ahhzz says thanks.
  9. iStink

iStink New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pay more attention to the media, but only to see how biased they are. You should ALWAYS do your own research first, THEN listen to what different news outlets say. This gives you an idea of who's on what side, and what sort of bs not to believe.

I personally feel like Fox News is on par with Mad Magazine. There are some die hard fans out there that would argue with me about that until their throat hurt, which I am not at all going to do here (so don't expect a reply if you address me about my opinion towards fox news.)

In the long run, it's hard to believe anything unless you do your own research, hear what people have to say about it entirely (not just small quotes taken out of context like the news likes to do) and even discuss it with other people. You never know if someone has heard more on the subject, and if it's YOU who knows more, spreading that information is a good thing.
  10. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    One other aspect you should consider for your essay, Ahhzz, is the relationship between level and potential for liability (being sued) vs. the amount of truth presented in the commercial advertisement. IMO, the higher the likelyhood of a company being sued off the planet (for instance, drug manufacturers) the more likely their truth in advertising will be more complete.
  11. mlupple

mlupple New Member

Thanks Received:
    You should definitely pay less attention to ads. Why would you want to fill your mind with a bunch of shit when you can fill it with real knowledge?
  12. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    More.

Get your information from multiple sources. They will be slightly different. You'll get closer to the facts that way. And of course, use your own common sense. Don't do/believe things because the media says so, use the media as reference only.

One exception of course, TPU is always right.
  13. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Funny thing about that... A friend of my dads used to test cars and write reviews for them, they would lean the motors out and over inflate the tires and then wait for the proper weather conditions to test the mpg.... It's sad these days you buy an American car that claims 35mpg and you are lucky if you see 28mpg....
  14. SimFreak47

SimFreak47 New Member

Thanks Received:
    In a city, thats in a state which is in the US, an
    Hi, I'm a mac....:nutkick:
    mlupple and hat say thanks.
  15. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: :toast: :roll:

Without a doubt....
  16. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    BUT YOU CAN PLAY DIRECT X GAMES ON THE MAC NOW!!
    Yeah, I've been playing with direct x since about 4 or 5 years ago. On my pc.

Erm on topic... I pay no attention to the media since I know it's pretty much corrupt BS anyway.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Speaking of Ads I just found this one. If you look at the first column you'll see Bill Gates talking about Cheese Burgers.

Gates ego
  18. Deusxmachina

Deusxmachina New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want to, you could include a chicken-or-the-egg scenario. Do advertisements exist because people want info about a product, or do they exist to entice people to want a product?

I'd say it's often somewhere in-between. Some people will say advertisements are to get people to want/need a product they previously didn't, but then again, many people WANT to be told what to do or what to buy so they don't have to think much.

Are ads trustworthy? Depends on the ad. In general, what's there to trust in them anyway? Many mention the product, link it to your emotions, and that's about it.
  19. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, having to currently take a class on analytical reading - I'll go a bit more in depth for you

as far as ads go, I personally think that they are becoming to obtrusive, crass, annoying, accostic, etc.

But, the only reason we have such advertisements is because corporate marketing has realised these tactics work. Meanign that they need to be "in your face" just to get your attention and sell you something.

The diametrically opposed side of advertisements, target your emotions - they don't offer anything really informative about their product, only the "latest thing" or fad, and target a sense of "feeling" - asian and eurpoean import car commercials are like this. They drive me up the wall, personally, as I don't see any correlation between driving through a time-stretched rain storm with a daily commute, y'know?

therefore, I'd have to say that ewe need to disregard advertisements more - they've stopped trying to "sell the product" and are only focused on "getting your attention," "appealing to your emotions," etc. There's no longer any "we're better than brand X, because . . ." arguements or presentations.

But, it's like the news broadcasts, who are only really selling fear - they wouldn't do it if people didn't buy into it and become absorbed by it.
  20. mlupple

mlupple New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're going to show off by using words that nobody has ever heard before, at least make sure you use the right 'too'.

Man, I'm glad I run my own business - I never had to go through the indoctrination centers like the rest of you.
  21. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    Ignore em... they all twist it their way... oh and Corrosion... who's the girl in your av???? :pimp:
  22. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

show off? :wtf: I use words like that every day and never even think about it. Oh, and pardon the spelling mistake - sometimes when one is typing fast enough, you don't hit the 'o' with enough force the second time around . . . besides, I don't have a self-checking spelling and grammar app running in the background, either. :rolleyes:

Don't think yourself high and mighty simply because you own and run your own business and never attended an "indoctrination center" - I've met many business owners who haven't pursued further schooling, and have no business or personal skills to back themselves up. It's a wonder sometimes how those businesses don't fold . . .